has the world got uglier?

luka

i would say in many ways obviously yes although there are specifically modern forms of beauty which i admire.
i like the big glass fronts of the office buildings like aquariums. i like all the fairy lights of capitalism glittering
i like the inhuman scale of things

luka

different eras have their own distinct brands of ugliness. what used to bruise my spirit as a child was the agonisingly dreary office buildings of the 1960s

luka

different eras have their own distinct brands of ugliness. what used to bruise my spirit as a child was the agonisingly dreary office buildings of the 1960s
they seemed to exude a ennervating force, you'd get dragged down as you went past them.

luka

they signified a world drained of spunk. that green colour someone here was on about recently.

luka

they dont have the same effect. most of them have been replaced now so they seem like relics, the ones that survive

People have got better looking. Well above average looking people have got better looking on average. That’s the most important thing so I vote yes

luka

do you think so? i watched a film starring christian bale last night and was struck by how bland he looks. life doesnt seem to leave its bite marks on peoples faces as much as it used to so people all look very bland, myself included.

This underworld to me is emblematic of a lot of the reasons why the world can be ugly now - the jarring, the invasive, the harsh attention grabbing out of placeness, info overload, a disjointed clash of aesthetics, nihilistic pleasure seeking distracted eclecticism etc

do you think so? i watched a film starring christian bale last night and was struck by how bland he looks. life doesnt seem to leave its bite marks on peoples faces as much as it used to so people all look very bland, myself included.
you didnt look bland the other week, covid drained you and made you look more weasly and wisened

luka

there seems to be some sort of analogue to pop musics 'loudness wars' in design, in signage, legibility perhaps being the overriding concern and yeah im not looking strong and vigourous at the moment. i need to start pumping iron and cycling, doing physical jerks etc