Old Things & The Antiquarian's Imaginary.

IdleRich

IdleRich
thats why (i think) children are so fascinated by typewriters
Do you use a type-writer for your poetry thing? I think that Lewis does. Certainly he had one and there were some things (maybe it was an issue of A Void) that he typed up limited editions of on the machine. It almost killed him, his wrists ended up thicker than Corpsey's wanking arm and I think that afterwards he struggled to type on a norma computer keyboard... I think the amount of pressure you have to apply is so different ultimately it changes the whole thing you're doing.

luka

it does put a fair bit of strain on your whole finger hand wrist technology but it's quite satisfying.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So you do use it for your poetry thing? Does the sheer physicality of it mean that it's easier to tap into your psyche, pull out the intangible and make it concrete right then and there... or is it just cos dumb tourists think it looks cool? How many words can you type per minute? How about with your laptop?

IdleRich

IdleRich
it's more of a performance, you build up more of a rhythm
It's weird, but I have suddenly felt this desire to build stuff... a longing for doing something with my hands to create something that exists physically has suddenly seized me (hence the thread about metalworking) and I am really excited about it, despite the fact that I haven't made anything at all since the (admittedly amazing) lion on wheels with walking legs that I did for GCSE Design and Technology.
Today I am going to go to bed early and get up early so I can go to the market and buy a load of stuff I can use to put my ideas into practice.

IdleRich

IdleRich
i dunno about words per minute but im the fastest in the world, easy, by a long way
Not in that video, I didn't want to say it at first cos I don't like being mean but now you've made that brag I have to mention that my first thought was that your comically cackhanded typing is in danger of spoiling the poems you create with it. Has anyone ever said they were surprised that someone who typed like a five year old trying to play Great Balls of Fire could produce such good work?

luka

you have to remember that i am channeling the muse at the same time as making my fingers hit all the correct buttons which is why that video
has over 200,000 views

luka

i do sometimes have old biddies, retired typists come over and try and tell me how to touch type but i cant be fucked learning to do anything hard.

IdleRich

IdleRich
i do sometimes have old biddies, retired typists come over and try and tell me how to touch type but i cant be fucked learning to do anything hard.
I can touch type but when I tried on a typewriter I can't generate enough strength to press the keys from that position.

luka

yeah being able to do it with the little finger defies beleif. im strictly 2 finger stabbing and jabbing.

vimothy

yurp
to bring this back to my original point, are we chained to modern tech, precisecly bc it's so magical? does this therefore imply some kind of loss?