woops

is not like other people
that's what you hear from time to time but it's hard to see a difference sometimes/occasionally

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
In short, I agree, but I'd assert that synonymity is strictly provisional, that there are situations wherein word replacement is tolerable.

That said, I maintain that the thesaurus is a throughly mediocre device, whose target audience is limited to those seeking to "spruce up" their cover letters, and would probably put it in such terms.

haji

lala
that's what you hear from time to time but it's hard to see a difference sometimes/occasionally

in my ear there are subtle differences in frequency and duration between "from time to time", "sometimes" and "occasionally", no?

woops

is not like other people
to me it sounds like something someone would say not because it's completely true but because they want it to be true to intiidate others with their massive word power.

haji

lala
to me it sounds like something someone would say not because it's completely true but because they want it to be true to intiidate others with their massive word power.
possibly/probably a factor,
but still a nice linguistic provocation

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
which sort of situations?
Also maybe in situations where you've awkwardly used the same word more than once in close proximity. But as a rule I don't take kindly to the notion of synonyms. In fact, I suggest we add them to the list of Enemies of Dissensus.

haji

lala
Low stakes ones, generally, wherein the fuss you'd make dissecting the semantics and etymology wouldn't be warranted by the marginally more sophisticated phrasing.
yeah i was thinking talking to 2nd language speakers or people who won't appreciate your subtle coding i guess

luka

as i said the other day Prynne uses repetition in a way that is very 'unpoetic' not incantatory or rhythmic, just flat. very particular to him.

woops

is not like other people
what i mean is you want to avoid saying "first he claimed that _____, then he asserted _______, then averred that _____" better to use just one verb

haji

lala
In short, I agree, but I'd assert that synonymity is strictly provisional, that there are situations wherein word replacement is tolerable.

That said, I maintain that the thesaurus is a throughly mediocre device, whose target audience is limited to those seeking to "spruce up" their cover letters, and would probably put it in such terms.
maybe the thesaurus will help you get closer to what you actually mean