when swordsmen of different styles connect

wild greens

Sounds like this rural Oxfordshire lad needs to hear some slick pimp talk raps

forclosure

I have to subscribe in order to read this and I'm not giving the times my money

But anyway did you like those pink siifu albums?

forclosure

So to bring it back to familiar ground for you King Kunta off TPAB is Kendrick trying to do a DJ Quik track but if you ask me that beat sounds limp compared to Quik's shit

forclosure

I feel that, its the breezy nature of it, Devin the Dude's music is built on it same with a decent chunk of Curren$y's best stuff and LE$ if you've ever heard of him

forclosure

Snoop always had that cartoon thing going on to my ears. in rural oxfordshire snoop sounds so silly, he's even got a silly voice and the things he says are ridiculous. always had a lot of time for him though for whatever reason. Suga Free nicks a lot of his rapping though no? it seems obvious to me
You know something thinking about this now, its a really good example of not just how as you mentioned ages ago how "rural" white lads like yourself end up listening to novetly garbage like professor elemental.

But also the traps and pitfalls regarding authenticity in rap that people who've been listening to it for decades and even people who wouldn't consider themselves fans fall into time and time again and have to say it, it does come with some degree of racism to it

all even a couple weeks back i was in a voice chat with some guy who says that he doesn't listen to it and the only guy he really had time for it was Eminem because he likes music that tells stories and stuff thats relatable. So i told him about Scarface's a minute to pray a second to die and he was like "that's great why isnt there more music like that?" And i was listing off the numerous examples in my head

forclosure

Also @shakahislop its interesting you say that snoop always sounded like a cartoon to you because i thought that was the kind of rapper you gravitated towards hence why i was saying you should check out babytron,key glock and yeat, the latter i don't like but can easily see you being into.

If there's one thing i know about white rap fans all even now is that they have no middle ground when it comes down to the kind of rappers they like

shakahislop

You know something thinking about this now, its a really good example of not just how as you mentioned ages ago how "rural" white lads like yourself end up listening to novetly garbage like professor elemental.

But also the traps and pitfalls regarding authenticity in rap that people who've been listening to it for decades and even people who wouldn't consider themselves fans fall into time and time again and have to say it, it does come with some degree of racism to it

all even a couple weeks back i was in a voice chat with some guy who says that he doesn't listen to it and the only guy he really had time for it was Eminem because he likes music that tells stories and stuff thats relatable. So i told him about Scarface's a minute to pray a second to die and he was like "that's great why isnt there more music like that?" And i was listing off the numerous examples in my head
there's a very particular strand / lineage of rap that i've known loads of oxfordshire lads be into. it basically runs from grandmaster flash to tribe called quest to dr octogon to dj format to aesop rock. 'authenticity' is part of it. but another part of it is relatability.

and another part is that there's a bit of an insecurity about being into a black music when not only are all the artists living on a different continent, especially when the culture is such a strong feature of all the music, but when you live in a place where basically you might not ever have spoken to even black people from the UK. so you've got no idea what's going on basically and i think people try to hang onto the idea that they're listening to the 'right' hiphop coz the whole thing is a bit of a vexed pursuit to start off with.

forclosure

there's a very particular strand / lineage of rap that i've known loads of oxfordshire lads be into. it basically runs from grandmaster flash to tribe called quest to dr octogon to dj format to aesop rock. 'authenticity' is part of it. but another part of it is relatability.

and another part is that there's a bit of an insecurity about being into a black music when not only are all the artists living on a different continent, especially when the culture is such a strong feature of all the music, but when you live in a place where basically you might not ever have spoken to even black people from the UK. so you've got no idea what's going on basically and i think people try to hang onto the idea that they're listening to the 'right' hiphop coz the whole thing is a bit of a vexed pursuit to start off with.
yes exactly and those lads that you're talking about are exactly what i'm talking about as far as white people having no middle ground when it comes to appreciating rap music the people who only listen to a specific checklist of "alternative" rappers from back when that used to mean something because they're explicit in their politics etc or their weird nerds despite the fact that some of the biggest rappers producers were gigantic nerds.

I think this is one of many reasons why that kind of rap you've mentioned has the reputation that it has even amongst certain white rap fans because its been treated for years the "secret gateway" to get into rap without needing to engage with the actual culture within it or whatever's current as a result said people because they approach it like its punk or whatever they talk like their tastes are so different from the norm but you can practically list off all the names that they like without really trying.

Relatability can be a factor but it shouldn't be the be all end all as far as who and why you like them this might be because when i was born it was around the time my mothers generation all had their own kids so apart from me i had one slightly younger cousin i was around older people so it wasn't weird, i'm not gonna come like i know the percentages off hand as to the backgrounds of people in places like Oxfordshire and the lake district but i imagine they're tinier compared to London's and they are there there's probably more of them living there now cause of housing prices. There's reason as to why you might not have ever spoken to black people in the UK and those reasons are both bigger and more personal than just rap if i'm being honest and its not unique to the UK either.

The kind of vexed purist you speak of i think as a result of certain things is dying off though or at least i'd like to think it is, you have to be of a certain age when that kind of territorial identity thinking still mattered and if you end up being one of those people now its more than likely you chose to be that flying in the face of everything else happening it's like choosing to be the kind of person who only worships classic rock.

forclosure

it it's own way this is why i get annoyed with catalog whenever he brings up Dean Blunt when i talk rappers, granted he's got his own thing in terms of being a Asian man growing up in Manchester but the frustration for me comes from a place of not just engaging with these things on its own terms it has to be put through Blunt's particular detached Black British hipster lens in order to it to make sense for him.

I don't have anything against Blunt i think he's an interesting guy although what i've heard from him i think is just "ok" he's self aware, deadpan and like alot notable experimental indie singer-songwriter types he's got this mix of being a singular vision and being completely full of shit i can see why a few people i know have this all consuming obsession with him but at the same time its like his vision is singular to him he's a part of the community and at the same time divorced from it, trying to reconcile his own sincere thought and feelings while trying to be detached from them a good example of the failings of the black hipster if you ask me.

and when trying to talk about rap if its a kind of rap that just runs against that particular thinking even if it's something beloved like say Slick Rick's children story it fails hard (which is funny because if you think about it Rick was doing bored detached raps before everybody)

luka

I'm fascinated by webs fantasies of white people. Anyone would think he'd never met one.

luka

I know Wood Green fairly well and there's definitely white people there and they don't conform in any particular to webbies fantasies