Why is "Dreaming My Dreams With You" the best Waylon Jennings song and what else is like it

Benny Bunter

Haven't been through the tunes in this thread but I'm definitely not anti country. I especially like the really old stuff like I posted in the gramophone thread, but I can get with Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn and Gram Parsons as well when I'm in the mood. This is my all-time fave, does it fit in here? He always sounds like he's on the verge of tears.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Oh yeah this is lovely.

The Terry Melcher doesn't quite do it for me, I think the voice isn't rich and deep enough, you know? He's prepubescent you're waiting for it to drop
That's fair on Melcher. He does embody what I like about a lot of country, wild over the top attacks of sentimentality.

Do you know this version of the Nico song? It might appeal.

• Love
Reactions: sus

forclosure

surprised nobody has brought up John Prine just far but again i feel like this'll eer to far from what Gus wants.

I can see him and Luka not liking Prine for different reasons, Gus cause while "mellow" Prine's observations more idiosyncratic than the standard country break-up song and for Luka as he mentioned the lack of "spark" lift,catching fire and vocal strength one thing you couldn't argue with Prine is that he didn't have ideas and he had a sort of yowley voice when he was younger that you get used to but it turned into a great gravely murmur in his later years

I think the best way i could maybe get Luka to give Prine a chance is to look at him like Guru from Gangstarr the people brought up thus far they may not have had the most refined vocals but the twang communicated something in them it only feels drab because the music captures a kind of 70s American rusticness that's far away from anywhere like Newham or south london,its more about capturing the day to day and getting deep into the small moments.

There's reason why as corny as it sounds why Prine's best work like these two could be funny, poignant and devastating in the same breath and its his economy of words, he was 21 when he wrote these 2 on his first album you could say he was a old man before he got there but that's more down to his big hearted empathy than anything being able to get you to think twice about small things that you otherwise wouldn't think about.

sus

I like John Prine a lot!

But I have yet to see a song on this list like Dreaming My Dream. There have been one or two that were close