Why is "Dreaming My Dreams With You" the best Waylon Jennings song and what else is like it

the ig

spectral country collection, but please avert yr eyes from the last vid - both garish and literal minded - as it’s almost guaranteed to spoil the song!

’dreaming my dreams’ is my fav waylon album so far, and pretty much started me on the whole trip

luka

all a bit drab this stuff isnt it. lack of vocal strength partly. lack of ideas, lack of anything lifting it higher. never catches fire does it. i know its supposed to be loser music but still

the ig

this album…limpid little grooves, sketchy songs, great touch…barely-there, ethereal country:

a slightly overlooked one in his great 70s run

Last edited:

the ig

poss his best song, he tends to schmaltz but great poise here, nice space in the prod’

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sus

the ig

fairly dodgy sexual politics you gotta say, but I die every time i hear that voice come in

Last edited:

the ig

no vocal prowess lol, almost too much, almost like everything else can be taken for granted musically precisely because the voice does so much, yet there’s no strain.

”charlie” is a lost masterpiece, gorgeous, desolate, haunted…just f’king pick it up!

Last edited:

forclosure

i mean i'm surprised nobodies thought to bring up Michael Hurley

he's re-recorded this song a bunch of different times like others in he's done but this version just retains that haunting up in the highlands,full moon wind blowing through the trees folk story passed on from generation to generation quality.

i dunno if @suspended will be into it cause he doesn't have the kind of barrell chested sadness of Jennings nor does it have that any of that warm mellowness, its too skeletal for that

then again Cat Power did cover this so if there's any version of this song i feel he'd like its probably that one

the ig

they’re not mutually exclusive, but I have him down more as a folky, but he’s great for sure

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
playing second fiddle

5506C669-5E8A-42E7-BD45-43BF399A51E7.jpeg
1F64BBFC-4CE1-45F7-879A-E52AF2273519.jpeg

Owsley Stanley recording (yt ffs), think Garcia is on pedal steel and it still feels slithery jitterbug/heroin-blues ie flat and not inspired