Googie (and related style and design)

william_kent

They say I'm the fastest skewer in the west.

oooh eerrr missus

edit: i think Benny Hill had a UK top ten hit along the same lines if I'm not mistaken ( @WashYourHands may be able to confirm or deny )

edit: I think the Benny Hill tune was something about the fastest "milk man in the west" but I'm sure there's a 'connotation' involving kebabs and prostates and condoms that we can exploit here, but at who's expense i'm not sure

IdleRich

IdleRich
What are you guys doing to my thread filled with beautiful sleek mid century design... well, more like plastic and tatty design, but for all that it was from maybe the last time when the world was filled with hope and genuinely dared to dream of an actual future in which we would rocket into the stars clad in curved plastic and metal wearing outrageous sunglasses that were bigger than the girls' skirts. After that final atomic flame burnt out it was a retreat into po-mo retreads and ironic distancing. And jokes about kebabs in condoms apparently...

william_kent

look at this chair!

I took a photo or two on my last holiday in the former DDR

it's STAN that has lowered the tone

IdleRich

IdleRich
What about films with this aesthetic? There must be some films filled with weird diners, cars with fins, girls in asymmetric minis and huge plastic sunglasses, crisp white backgrounds and peculiarly twisted yet coolly minimal furniture etc etc there simply must be... but I can't think of any really.

Maybe Logan's Run but that's not quite it somehow cos it's actual future rather than space-facing fashion.

Help me on this.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
What about films with this aesthetic? There must be some films filled with weird diners, cars with fins, girls in asymmetric minis and huge plastic sunglasses, crisp white backgrounds and peculiarly twisted yet coolly minimal furniture etc etc there simply must be... but I can't think of any really.

Maybe Logan's Run but that's not quite it somehow cos it's actual future rather than space-facing fashion.

Help me on this.
I guess Blowup is more mod than googie, but similar anyway.

blowup.png

Maybe Modesty Blaise?

th.jpg

American Graffiti I guess is more just mid-century americana, but a lot of those 50s cars are kinda googie.

I haven't seen Forbidden Planet, but that might qualify:

Poster - Forbidden Planet_29.jpg

Tarkovsky's Solaris?

solaris5.jpg

Clockwork Orange is another one that probably is between mod and googie:

cde77faf39e4f56515c9bc12f38b4595.png

IdleRich

IdleRich
Futuro House - these were apparently built to be easy constructed ski cabins but people didn't like them and they looked too unnatural so they didn't last on the market long, presumably pretty collectible now I'd imagine.

A Futuro house, or Futuro Pod, is a round, prefabricated house designed by Finnish architect Matti Suuronen, of which fewer than 100 were built during the late 1960s and early 1970s. The shape, reminiscent of a flying saucer, and the structure's airplane hatch entrance has made the houses sought after by collectors. The Futuro is composed of fiberglass-reinforced polyester plastic, polyester-polyurethane, and poly(methyl methacrylate), measuring 4 metres (13 feet) high and 8 metres (26 feet) in diameter.

futuro-house-1676886960.jpg

Attachments

• futuro-house-1676886960.jpg
    futuro-house-1676886960.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 0

IdleRich

IdleRich
Out buying my, er, Christmas presents today sadly...

Just after I'd read someone wondering why so much space age stuff was orange I came across this set advertised as a space age mirror and hangers

IMG_20231228_044354.jpg

Then this mirror

IMG_20231228_044635.jpg