Nuggets/Pebbles/BackFromTheGrave etc tunes that are nothing like Beatles

IdleRich

IdleRich
New thread to avoid cluttering up another one. But I often hear it said that all the Nuggets tunes are kinda like second rate Beatles/Stones tunes and... maybe it's true as far as the original Nuggets comp goes, but I see that compilation as really something that is important for giving the idea of collecting a load of stuff together and then leading to people taking that idea much further. I honestly think that the stuff that is compiled across them is a totally different sound to The Beatles. Agreed, Stones make a better comparison, but i gonna just put a load here that I don't see as that similar... tell me your thoughts @Benny B - not trying to be adversarial here but interested to hear what you think.

As mentioned, I don't see this one as anything like either band

Or this

Or this

And this one is something totally different altogether

Now something like this you might see as a bit Beatles-ey I guess. But I think it's ambitious enough to not just be a throwaway inferior Beatles copy (though that is a matter of opinion I guess)

And when you have the real primitive bashers like these, neither Stones or Beatles ever did anything I know of that have this crude savagery

Now obviously I've picked ten or whatever there subjectively. I am not saying that there are not any that are just (inferior) Beatles and, particularly, Stones rip-offs

eg this one sounds an awful like Rolling Stones - but it's a good tune no doubt

But the main point for me is that there is quite a lot of variety, there are alll those farfisa organ ones, there are the speeded up chipmunk vocals (I think this one was mastered at the wrong speed by accident)

There's ones that are much more rocking than Stones or Beatles - and yeah a lot of the appeal does depend on whether you find something charming inn low recording quality... or not.

Anyway, that's enough to start with but - apart from the Grim Reepers one obviously - do you really thikn that any of those are that similar to Beatles or Stones? Genuine question, there may be ones that I don't know or have forgotten that answer the question.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Will listen tomorrow if I can, gotta go bed now. I do like a lot of garage rock.

Just to be clear, this is the sort of thing (from the nuggets album) rich definitely DOESN'T want

IdleRich

IdleRich
One thing I would say about those Nuggets/Pebbles kinda things.... for me there is a very distinct divide between those real one hit wonder type things - four sixteen year olds borrowed their mate's guitar and saved up enough cash from their paper rounds to get an hour in a shit recording studio where in one take they recorded a crude attempt at a song and then forgot about it until fifty years later someone shows them a copy sellling on ebay for $2000 - and the ones who were proper bands who actually had a few songs and albums; here I'm thinking of The Seeds, The Monks, Music Machine... I dunno, Shadows of Knight.

Shake is maybe the most perfect bubblegum garage crossovers... well it's just a perfect pop song, everyone likes it I think

And then you got this one which is really great stompy rocking thing

Or this blues-ey instrumental

But, you can see that they did a version of Gloria. I am not claiming that there weren't a few standards such as Gloria and I'm A Man etc which almost everyone did - cos that would be really stupid. And then loads of songs which are basically the same as the standards but with the lyrics changed a bit. Same as in popcorn type music, there are a million songs which are basically Fever but changed around a bit.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The difference is that the Outcasts, and most of those Pebbles groups, sound like they actually took drugs at some point, and weren't scared of messing around with reverb and distortion to see what happened.
Whereas the Beatles and Stones sound like wankers who watched Dr Who and went to bed at 11pm.

Millions of bands called The Outcasts. This is a beautiful track which again sounds nothing like Beatles or Stones - DJ Shadow used it on a mix I believe.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just to be clear, this is the sort of thing (from the nuggets album) rich definitely DOESN'T want

It's not that I want or don't want anything - I suppose I am just saying that, while there are loads of songs on those comps which ARE basically just attempts to sound like the Beatles or Stones (with varying degrees of success - from terrible to great), there are also loads of songs that simply aren't like that. There are loads of absolute killer tunes that just don't fit that description and dismissing the whole spectrum of tunes on those comps which grew out of Nuggets like that would be a big mistake.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The difference is that the Outcasts, and most of those Pebbles groups, sound like they actually took drugs at some point, and weren't scared of messing around with reverb and distortion to see what happened.
One of my friends is a big psych collector and he defined a sub-genre that he called "beer psych" which is how he referred to loads of bands in the middle of nowhere who just didn't have access to the cool drugs that richer bands in big cities did and as a result they did the best with what was available and got drunk a lot and wrote songs imagining what it might be like to be high. An idea I found quite amusing although hard to know how accurate he was.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyway, I leave it there for tonight, but @Benny B (and anyone) would be interested to hear your thoughts on the tunes in that first post cos I put a lot of ones I like that are a bit more varied there.

blissblogger

probably more than Beatles or Stones it's Yardbirds many of these are trying to rip off - but the best of them are about 100 x more exciting

IdleRich

IdleRich
Is that We The People? I used to have the seven of this one but I gave it away in a stupid moment of generosity (well I was late sending some records I'd sold to someone so to apologise I chucked an extra one in but why I gave him a hundred quid seven I can't explain now, must have been high). It sounds like proto-grunge to me.

blissblogger

Although a lot of these bands were reactive to the Brit Invasion - primarily Stones Yardbirds Them Kinks Animals - it's not like they didn't have any recent American stuff to draw on - Link Wray, the noisier surf bands, the Sonics / North West sound, "Louie Louie" ... it's a moot point whether they access Bo Diddley direct or via the Brits indebted to him .... but there's wild black American music they could also have drawn on, probably depending on whereabouts they were based and what was going on locally, to be picked up off regional radio stations.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Lizatron got this through the post three days ago. It's styrene but she played it like 50 times in a row anyway... dunno how long it will last.