softcore rap

blissblogger

Yes probably this forum would tend to favor rap about gangs, guns, girl's butts, drugs and/or drug deals, boasts 'n' threats, conspicuous consumption etc.

Either that or the militant hardcore - conscious and righteously rage-full

But what about the softcore rap? Dreamy, goofy, quirky, floaty

De La Soul and that kind of thing, yes, but lots more.... much of it indexed to a very end of '80s / early '90s mood of positivity in the wider pop culture

Reminded of this kind of thing and its appeal by coming across an ancient friend's review (both friend and review = ancient) of this group, whose existence I'd completely forgotten

Have at it, Dissensus!

Luka and Thirdform especially encouraged to participate

Last edited:

blissblogger

And here's another - British too

This is just rapping superimposed over (and a beat underimposed beneath) a US garage tune from the '60s isn't it? Which one?

update: It's "Gloria" by Them, Van Morrison's first group - so not US garage, but a song hugely influential on the US garage groups and widely covered by such as Shadows of Knight etc

Last edited:

blissblogger

this and Pharcyde "Passin' Me By" is probably on the edge of what I'm talking about but has that dreamy hazy quality

Roobric

not sure if you just want 90s rap, but I always thought this Future track was surprisingly soft

a lot of HNDRXX sounds kind of like this too

blissblogger

not sure if you just want 90s rap, but I always thought this Future track was surprisingly soft

a lot of HNDRXX sounds kind of like this too

yeah with the late 2010s wave of mumbly Auto-Tune trap you get a lot of ambient-woozy and IDM twinkly sounds + subdued / sedated delivery further etherealized through effects - so you get this mismatch of hard content (boasts, drugs, sexism etc) and soft sonics.

you

- methods by Charisma

Eternal Sunshine (the Pledge)by Jay Electronica

Clouddead

wonderful Sativa-melancholy

AKAI SOLO

you

Mike Zoot.... scratching maybe not calm

Ronnie Foster sample in Madlib's Blue Note LP on Stones Throw