shakahislop

american cultural commentary has a habit of creating neologisms I think. it can often be a more precise vocabulary than what we have in the UK. Or in France for that matter. I might just not know about it but apart from dog punks and bobos i don't know any terms french people use to describe these kinds of things.

France is very oriented towards cultural norms, come to think of it. In UK and US there's a lot more challenge to the status quo. Particularly in terms of clothing and hair, which is a big part of what we're talking about here I think.

shakahislop

One feature of the US compared to other countries is actually how many people deviate from the normal path, and how this is accepted and valued, not by everyone but by quite a lot of people

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
A large part of the mythos and metaphorical existence of the normie is IMO tethered to online/alternative tropes like "seeing through the matrix"

Another more social constructivist/cultural relativist way to say this IMO is "the view outside games"

I think some non normies are just highly online people who live and breath contrarian counter-signal type discourse. They are superficially "not normie"/Very Online but in a deeper way, they are normies with a different brand

IMO the true break from normiedom is concurrent with a kind of awareness of the condtructedness/aribtrariness of ones cultural norms, and the freedom that follows from this awareness. It is about de-naturalizing and de-objecticizing social reality. And becoming open to many worlds of possible being and existing and experiencing as a result. And building your own little world and code from pieces salvaged and schlepped.

and de-gaying yourself on tramadol

entertainment

As Schutz and IIRC Husserl (and many others in the phenomenological tradition) write, the taken-for-grantedness of the social-coordination-equilibrium's shared, normative perspective is the base illusion on which all other illusions are predicated

this basic idea is everywhere once you think about it. husserl's epoché, shklovskys recognotion vs seeing, bergson's analysis vs. intuition, heidegger no doubt.

in terms of personality development, there's a theory called positive disentegration that describes this. in my experience, the trouble is you can get stuck on the outside, basically outside the rest of humanity. everything is questioned, everything is decoded, looking for patterns, stable principles to build on.

IdleRich

IdleRich
american cultural commentary has a habit of creating neologisms I think. it can often be a more precise vocabulary than what we have in the UK. Or in France for that matter. I might just not know about it but apart from dog punks and bobos i don't know any terms french people use to describe these kinds of things
Zazus maybe?

linebaugh

This is what comes to mind when I hear the term tbh. A pejorative for people who aren't as 'online', i.e. aren't aware of various podcast dramas, conspiracy theories, memes, niche politics etc, used by people who
I feel like theres been an analogue for the term before internet culture became what it is. Didnt 90's goths say normie or something of the like?

"There's this cottage industry of labels where the musicians look like math teachers," he [Musician Stephen Malkmus] said. "They wear total normie outfits. It's normie radicalism."

Looking it up normie has also been used by people in recovery programs like AA group for a decades.

Normie was used in the 1987 film The Garbage Pail Kids Movie, although with a different meaning than it has today. In this instance, normie was used by the Garbage Pail Kids characters (grotesque versions of the then-popular Cabbage Patch Kids dolls) to differentiate between themselves and humans.

As is so often true of slang, the term normie is older than you may think. Shortened from normal and combined with the informal, diminutive –ie suffix, normie is evidenced in the written record as early as the 1950s. Historically, the term has been specifically used as a way for people with physical disabilities to refer to people without them.

4yho5jcs0t521.png

wektor

normie is a pejorative term.

normie lacks in their ability of critical analysis, sometimes completely.
hence lacks self awareness and can easily deeply believe in certain convictions (ie faith), at the same time can easily have relatively high self esteem and approach things positively.

plenty of so called alternative people can also be normies, ie anti vaxxers, shopping mall goths, student punk band members

linebaugh

does seem likes it current manifestation is first an internet thing, but what isnt?

And that its evolved passed its origins as I guess what you could call medical slang kind of gets at what I would like to know- have their always been normies?

Last edited:
Reactions: sus

linebaugh

“neurotypical” comes close I think
Id say its far from it, though non neurotypical people could be less likely to be normies, though maybe not. But what I think is crucial here is that normiedom is all dependent on choice. see a wealthy, neurotypical person rejecting normiedom via that upper middle class ennui

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yes I do that regularly

And "TY" more than thank you
Why? Just habit you fell into or deliberate affectation or you think it's easier/quicker than 'thank you" or what?

My guess is people around you say it and it rubbed off, just cos that happens to me very very easily. Got a friend who says "sick" a lot and I catch myself saying it... it's not a bad word particularly, but it's not me.