The good IDM thread

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Let's not argue over how dumb IDM is as a name or idea, although I'm open to ppl introducing tunes into the debate that aren't usually classed as IDM

Aphex and Autechre are permitted, but not encouraged

woops

is not like other people
funkstorung
skam records
early com.a

its all in my 100 tunes thread... 😘

Benny Bunter

It's been done to death already hasn't it like everything else? There must be 2 or 3 other threads already on idm

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
i quite liked my idea of introducing non core IDM stuff as candidates for "IDM" but unfortunately i didn't lead with that

'bleep tune' is the only squarepusher tune i've heard that i've liked (i used to like 'my red hot car' but its a bit annoying to my ears now)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
idm is a fallacy. it doesn't really exist, not in the way that say, a bay b kane tune and a hype tune are unmistakably jungle. so of course you're going to get little response. Do you mean early warp/gpr, drill n bass or the laptop glitch Autechre end of things? Those are three different distinct streams. The music of Kirk Degiorgio's As One project has very little in common with Gantz Graph era Autechre. And the music of Two Loan Swordsmen has little in common with both. It's just an ad hoc categorisation for post-rave electronic music that isn't academic electronic stuff.

But for stuff that doesn't fall into this broad electronica remit i would recommend the whole flashcore stuff I talk about. the convergence point between gabba and musique concrete.

if you can find a copy of this tape on soulseek it comes highly recommended. if not I'll stick it up the next time I pop in.

blissblogger

>idm is a fallacy. it doesn't really exist, not in the way that say, a bay b kane tune and a hype tune are unmistakably jungle.

perhaps IDM is more like a format, in the radio sense - it's a category determined by a mode of listening and an implicit demographic. A radio format can have a bunch of sounds (classic rock or modern rock - these categories cut across genres and eras) in it, but the demographic it targets is fairly defined.
same as "indie", the output of which zone now sounds completely different than in the 2000s, which sounded completely different from indie in the '80s. but the through lines and commonalities relate to sensibility and the kind of listener (and perhaps also lyrics rather than sound. indie today sounds clean and well produced and can also be well played, whereas in the 80s it meant unpolished, sloppy and rudimentary music skills. but the lyrics in all eras of indie are bookish, sensitive, non-carnal when concerned with love, mildly alienated etc)
not unrelated - when did people start talking about "uni" - "going to uni", "after uni" etc. It was not in the parlance when I was a student, i.e. early '80s. "uni" makes my skin crawl.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
unfortunate hint of music youd listen to when you just got home from a rave, rather than what i would like to hear at the rave

Well it could also mean like Portishead and Morcheba, which don't really have anything to do with IDM at all.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Honestly none of barty travi$ Scott music can touch this.

Yeah ok the beats are fairly sedate but listen to those succulunt synth textures.