Physical acts of genius [sports gods]

linebaugh

So this first one he dummied while he was in the air to make space for the shot, that makes sense to me... but the second one, he was likely gonna score anyway no? He just a fancy one.
How was he likely going to score rich? There was a man at the rim in good position, thats why he had to do a spin and shoot it backwards

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
He could have done it more simply, perhaps, but he went for something audacious and pulled it off

Isn't that part of the joy of sports? It's like a footballer taking on a volley from 30 yards

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I suppose you might say a footballer wouldn't get it past the keeper and then do a fancy backheel into an open goal – but in Jordan's case that was all part of one fluid movement

linebaugh

In the case of the jordan spin lay up I dont think there were many other options. He could have passed it back to the other guy I guess

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I can see an argument against the Carter dunk because it feels more like an act of pure spring power than an intricate, ingenious movement that only a high functioning sports brain could conceive of and execute

But that brings us into a whole discussion around what constitutes 'genius' in the physical realm

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Mike Tyson smashing someone's head off is a stunning physical act but is it clever?

This might lead nicely into a discussion of Messi vs Ronaldo, for the football lads

linebaugh

The defender does a good job of baiting jordan into trying to take the layup himself though with those slower gallop steps