Work

william_kent

I dunno how I've avoided those

you must be the "outlier'

there's a quote in the ghost written Miles Davis autobiography where he says you should wake up at the same time you went to bed ( i.e., 12 hours later ) which I have lived by at some points in my life, but there is a downside to a 24/7 bed ridden experience, just registering that

william_kent

i've reverted to the sleep pattern of my peasant ancestors, although I may have divided that into 2 more "sleeps" than they allowed for

circadian glitch rhythms

IdleRich

IdleRich
You know when you go "It's six pm, there is no excuse, I gotta get up" and then you spend maybe half an hour psyching yourself up for it... and then "Fuck it, I'm going for it" and you finally climb out, ready to face the world... stumble to the living room and slump on the sofa in front of the telly? No, maybe you don't.

IdleRich

IdleRich
you must be the "outlier'

there's a quote in the ghost written Miles Davis autobiography where he says you should wake up at the same time you went to bed ( i.e., 12 hours later ) which I have lived by at some points in my life, but there is a downside to a 24/7 bed ridden experience, just registering that
I can't imagine sleeping solidly for twelve hours... maybe if I have been up for three days I might manage eight, even ten very occasionally.

william_kent

You know when you go "It's six pm, there is no excuse, I gotta get up" and then you spend maybe half an hour psyching yourself up for it... and then "Fuck it, I'm going for it" and you finally climb out, ready to face the world... stumble to the living room and slump on the sofa in front of the telly? No, maybe you don't.

yeah, I do

william_kent

was just thinking of Miles Davis's "dark years" with some degree of envy

three years in a curtained bedroom, injecting coke into his leg, and then frolicking with various configurations of ladies on his, I'm presuming here, the "autobiography" is a bit vague, his king sized waterbed...

anyway, three years in bed ( he was getting some "exercise" though )

didn't do him any harm?

when he re-emerged into the light, maybe it was his least appreciated period, but I've bought most of the 80s albums and maybe they're due for a "critical reappraisal"?

shakahislop

i like getting into bed after a long day at work. its lovely in bed. why would anyone want to be anywhere but in bed.
I used to do jobs not exactly like working on a whaling barge but jobs that involved standing up all day and moving things around (farm work etc) and its a biologically different life to sitting down jobs. Your brain works differently and your body feels different. The cultural ephemera that interacts with works in different ways as a result I think. It's a big long-term driving force in what's going on culturally. All these sedentary people sitting at desks are a new form of person on a physical level and there's a lot of them now.

IdleRich

IdleRich
was just thinking of Miles Davis's "dark years" with some degree of envy

three years in a curtained bedroom, injecting coke into his leg, and then frolicking with various configurations of ladies on his, I'm presuming here, the "autobiography" is a bit vague, his king sized waterbed...
Sounds a little like the famous "George where did it all go wrong?" anecdote which I'm sure has grown in the telling but when I heard it, the above was what a hotel employee or something ejaculated* on coming into Best's room to find him engaged in a threes-up with a couple of miss world types in a bed covered in banknotes.

*you may have noticed I'm making a one man effort to rehabilitate the more traditional meaning of this word. No noticeable change yet but it's early days.

william_kent

Sounds a little like the famous "George where did it all go wrong?" anecdote which I'm sure has grown in the telling but when I heard it that was what a hotel employee or something ejaculated* on coming into his room to find him engaged in a threes-up with a couple of miss world types in a bed covered in banknotes.

*you may have noticed I'm making a one man effort to rehabilitate the more traditional meaning of this word. No noticeable change yet but it's early days.

which word?

edit; sorry, I'm slow... yes, I have noticed that you are "reclaiming:" ejacualation, "owning" it in a sense

luka

thats definitely
I used to do jobs not exactly like working on a whaling barge but jobs that involved standing up all day and moving things around (farm work etc) and its a biologically different life to sitting down jobs. Your brain works differently and your body feels different. The cultural ephemera that interacts with works in different ways as a result I think. It's a big long-term driving force in what's going on culturally. All these sedentary people sitting at desks are a new form of person on a physical level and there's a lot of them now.
true. 'working' from home is another big shift. men with soft, rounded hips

Leo

yeah, desk workers also spend way too much time reading nonsense online, warps their brain.

shakahislop

yeah, desk workers also spend way too much time reading nonsense online, warps their brain.
one of my first office jobs was in quite a stuffy and fancy bit of the UK government, i had no idea what was going on to be honest, i lived in a little cottage they let me stay in out in the middle of nowhere and spent the evenings drinking bottles of wine in the bath and reading jack kerouac (this is exactly what someone who is the JME of dissensus would do i get it now), when the chief executive went on holiday i was supposed to water his plants but i didn't, not out of rebelliousness but just disorganization, when my friend leo came over he spent a lot of time jumping over the rose bushes and kicking them off, the chief executive was a nice old tory man who seemed as baffled by me as i was of him, he had a party for the royal wedding, i couldn't believe such things existed, how could you not be embarassed....anyway i sat in an office with a communications person - who actually one day was having a conversation on twitter with patron saint of dissensus joe muggs, i asked her to ask him to make me a mixtape and he told me to buy his CD or something - but anyway she was the first glint of what was to come, sitting in the office all day half working and half just reading the guardian and twitter and talking to me about it. it seemed mad to me. but years later that's what loads of people's lives are like. it's one of the reasons the online has come to dominate so much isn't it, that there are a million people sat on computers all day for their livelihood, with spreadsheets in one window and rolling news in the other

luka

mindblowing how little work office people do. apparently 2 hours on average. they did a survey. its a total scam.