Dudes vs Lads Fri 25th Nov 1900 uk time joint telly watch

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh my God, that is so terrible, how could they do something so horrifically tasteless?

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Kinda reminds me of when David Blaine went in a glass box without food for a month or two as some kind of magical feat of endurance. His assistant said something like "I don't understand it, every other place he did this he was treated with respect but in London you've got people hitting golf balls at him and somebody hovered a remote control helicopter with a big mac hanging from it just outside the box' - I mean, what is wrong with these people?

shakahislop

the cultural micro-thread of European disdain for how Americans do sport is something I find interesting. watching any of the american sports from a European perspective provokes this feeling in a lot of people that the americans are doing it wrong. The obvious examples are the relentless ads and the stop-start nature of the sports. It's tied into this broader widely held european idea that people in the US are unsophisticated and don't know what life should be like I think. It's kind of remarkable that this attitude still holds on, I find it pretty clear that its something quite unexamined that is a holdover from a hundred and fifty years ago.

shakahislop

Kinda reminds me of when David Blaine went in a glass box without food for a month or two as some kind of magical feat of endurance. His assistant said something like "I don't understand it, every other place he did this he was treated with respect but in London you've got people hitting golf balls at him and somebody hovered a remote control helicopter with a big mac hanging from it just outside the box' - I mean, what is wrong with these people?
I've probably said this five times on here but the 90s and 00s were particularly cruel humour-wise in the UK. Really think that some of the content policing that's everywhere now is partly a reaction against that.

IdleRich

IdleRich
the cultural micro-thread of European disdain for how Americans do sport is something I find interesting. watching any of the american sports from a European perspective provokes this feeling in a lot of people that the americans are doing it wrong. The obvious examples are the relentless ads and the stop-start nature of the sports. It's tied into this broader widely held european idea that people in the US are unsophisticated and don't know what life should be like I think. It's kind of remarkable that this attitude still holds on, I find it pretty clear that its something quite unexamined that is a holdover from a hundred and fifty years ago.
Think it goes both ways though doesn't it? Like the thing I was asking about with ties.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
maybe 20 years ago, get a sense both parties have moved on

I even started a baseball thread which went, um, down the toilet due to heteronormative anti-flow

Leo

nah, makes perfect sense. otherwise you end up mismanaging the game and losing control. You can't interrupt the flow of play too much.

third going with the jam band theory of sports: if you're in a groove, let it ride, man!

it doesn't make sense to have a sport regulated by a clock that essentially disregards that clock in deference to the judgement/whimsy of an official. many would say strict abidance to the clock heightens management of the game.

woops

is not like other people
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that. Bill Shankly
its not the winning it's the taking apart it's a game of two halves at the end of the day the lads all have 110%, someone pull out that Camus quote

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
third going with the jam band theory of sports: if you're in a groove, let it ride, man!

it doesn't make sense to have a sport regulated by a clock that essentially disregards that clock in deference to the judgement/whimsy of an official. many would say strict abidance to the clock heightens management of the game.

this is not rugby. It's football. If you did that, diving simulation would increase exponentially

Leo

it's one or the other: you have rules, or you don't. freeform, free-flowing jam band football would be cool, no judgment either way. but it shouldn't be a grey area.