Sadism in Public Life

sufi

lala
Seems like we are keener to see our enemy's faces ground in the dust than our own agendas realised, no?

seems like increasingly the news/"current affairs" focuses on unpleasant situations, because those are the stories that we like to read,

and it seems like our entertainment, whether it's "real life" celebs in the jungle or on the love island, or whether it's soaps like Game of Thrones or The English, or the endless cop procedurals, it's all about voyeuristic enjoyment of other people's suffering?

& so that is reflected in politics, where we just want to see the other side fucked up and squirming, more so than achieving any positive goals?

Leo

Old adage from the newspaper days: "If it bleeds, it leads."

Filtered into the GOP, they didn't even issue a party platform in recent elections because their main focus isn't to get things done, but to be obstructionist.

version

I think it's partly because it's easier to know what you don't like or disagree with than it is to come up with a solution.

shakahislop

one of the nice things about recent progressivism, despite occasionally being very annoying, is that there's a countervailing force to some kinds of cruelty on tele and other popular forms. cruelty and humiliation are compelling, even more so when they feel like they're directed against an agreed on target.

shakahislop

there's a lot else to love about g-funk but always thought opening up with this tune did a lot to make this album as popular as it was. the public humiliation of easy-e is particularly brutal and effective i think. obviously depictions of sexual violence are dominant form of our time, one of the things the internet has made easy, certainly one of the ways that the sadist impulse is expressed.

shakahislop

i've got a bit more hardline on megan thee stallion i think, one of the constants in her stuff is the expression of cruelty

version

index.php

Someone on Twitter said he looks like if George Michael's corpse was a character in GoldenEye.

Fi5OpS4XoAA3yMO.jpeg

william_kent

I was hoping the media was going to go in hard on the FTX disaster, but there seems to be a lack of sadism where they're calling Sam Bankman-Fried by the friendlier "SBF", almost a nickname, like he's our pal and not a thief who stole billions of his customer's deposits and giving him airtime where he can say shit like "I had a bad month"...

disappointed by the lack of sadism on show for this guy

william_kent

He was shivering during an interview and i almost wanted a fleet of Luis Suarez’s to descend down from the skies and eat him alive if that helps Bill

I'm sure the shivers are just a side effect of whatever stimulants he's necking that make him so risk averse, pathetic the way he's trying to throw Caroline under the bus - at least she's had the sense to leg it to a no-extradition agreement country

sufi

lala
I was hoping the media was going to go in hard on the FTX disaster, but there seems to be a lack of sadism where they're calling Sam Bankman-Fried by the friendlier "SBF", almost a nickname, like he's our pal and not a thief who stole billions of his customer's deposits and giving him airtime where he can say shit like "I had a bad month"...

disappointed by the lack of sadism on show for this guy
Day to day updates on Nicola Bulley and now Constance Marten are lavishly sadistic

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Fancy leaving your dead child while zigzagging across the country in taxis like Craig Charles on crack with her money

- Mumsnet