Films you've seen recently and would recommend WITH reservations

william_kent

Hori Smoku - Sailor Jerry: The Life and Times of Norman K. Collins ( 2008 )

Who knew that Sailor Jerry was such an asshole? Turns out he was a racist sexist bigoted right-wing libertarian dickhead. Also a legend in the tattoo world. There's a lot of bullshit in this documentary, not all of it originating from Sailor Jerry. Other famous tattoo artists recount tall tales. Ed Hardy tramples all over Sailor Jerry to get an "in" with the Japanese masters that he ripped off. Crazy Eddie Funk gets angry at always being second place to Jerry.

I watched this in mixed company so when Sailor Jerry talks about "dial a cunt" there was indignation in the air.

but... it was an interesting glimpse into a long gone subterranean scene, which has been replaced by what the old timers sarcastically refer to as the mainstream "black tee shirts"

I'll still drink the rum named after him though - it's cheap and does the job

Last edited:

sufi

lala
Vesper (2022)
a bit of uk sci-fi, good female leads, atmospheric lithuanian jungle scenery, thought provoking future biohazard & oligarchy scenario,
not bad at all
& it fit quite nicely with this, which i saw today on tube
1674673806743.png

IdleRich

IdleRich
Went to see Babylon today and have quite a few thoughts bubbling up as a result - but I think I have to put them in this thread cos despite the discussion begun by @Clinamenic in the other thread, I can't in good conscience recommend it with no reservations. That said, it passed the time enjoyably enough, although the first half filled with one-liners and amusing action (I loved the tension filled race to get the camera as he cranks the truck faster and fasrer, taking nail-biting risks as the scenery rushes by - and then a cut to the speedometer that shows him touching 40mph) was inevitably more fun than the inevitable downward trajectory of the second half.

I'm feeling slightly sick and possibly delirious after Pedro made us buy these horrible/delicious cheesey nachos which came with a pot of weird heated pseudo-cheese sauce. Luckily in Cinema World my bladder was spared by a seven minute interval crudely hacked out in the middle of the film, regardless of that moment happening to fall in the middle of a sentence.

Anyway got a load of things that occur to me straight away and which I'm gonna blurt out in no particular order; the main thing was the way that a lot of it felt second hand, partly cos the film was very similar to a number of other films AND cos it also contained scenes which seemed to refer to or pay homage to other films... so there were several bits that made you think they you had seen them before in several different ways.

The most obvious comparison is Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, a long and meandering love (and hate) letter to the cinema of yesteryear in which Brad Pitt played a stunt double to Dicaprio's washed up film star and Margot Robie had a brief involvement as film star Sharon Tate. In Babylon's long and meandering letter to Hollywood of a different yesteryear Brad Pitt has been promoted from stunt double to actual fading star and Robbie stays as a film star, albeit one with a lot more screen time.

The most derivative scene, or perhaps the one that was the most direct homage was when MILD SPOILERS they try to scam a weird gangster by paying off some gambling debts with fake money. Almost exactly the same as in Boogie Nights when they make a similar plan to sell a load of fake coke to an equally bizarre gangster, in each case the strategy for fooling him is "He won't check it" - in both scenes the gangster is attended by an armed heavy and in both cases the tension is increased by the fact that annoying noises - in BN firecrackers being continually let off by the gangster's Chinese catamite, in Babylon the repeated snorting and spitting of phlegm by his bodyguard - keep breaking into the conversation as they stare guiltily at the bag of fake goods. It was this last bit that convinced me the similarity was deliberate SPOILERS END

So that was one way in which the film felt... reminiscent of stuff you've seen before. Another bit was as "talkies" came in and you get the stars of silent pictures struggling to maintain their status, while this is happening you see a chorus miming to Singing In The Rain, which at the time seems like a slightly clever reference as, if you've seen that film, you will know that it is about precisely that, however, at the end, the link is spelled out for you as it's implied that the film Singing In The Rain is in fact based on some of the events that occur in this film.

Another is the journalist character. If you've ever seen Hail, Caesar! you will know it is also set in Hollywood, but in the 1950s rather than 20s and 30s, and in that Tilda Swinton plays two roles "
In Hail,Caesar you had Tilda Swinton playing two roles - as both Thora Thacker and Thessaly Thacker, feuding identical twin sister gossip columnists, mimicking the rivalry between Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons.

But in Babylon you have "Jean Smart as Elinor St. John, a sensationalist journalist" which sort of feels as though they have taken the two characters who are already a switched up version of real people, and then combined them into one person and moved her/them back 20 something years. It's really confusing wondering what layer of reality we are dealing with.

Same goes for Lady Fay Zhu who at first I thought was clearly supposed to be Anna May Wong...

Zhu

download.jpeg

Wong

681d0c81703447ff990755454a16f139.jpg

But it seems like they just took her look and character cos Lady Zhu is not really an actress but more behind the scenes... and I dunno who inspired the German director (Fritz Lang? Otto Premininger?) - the basic point is that the film borrows, copies or pays homage to loads of films (those mentioned and also Myra Breckenridge and of course the montage at the end) and does the same with people to the extent that you don't know which are real or inspired in part by real people or nicked from films... you could write about just this for aaaages.

But I should of say, it's a fun film, the arc is deliberately predictable to the point where Brad Pitt's character does what is expected in these films although it really makes no sense for the plot. And this feels kinda knowingly done.

Less knowing however is the way it treats the third star it sort of covers, the black guy's story ironically feels like an afterthought and is just rushed and half-arsed.

Oh and the parties, I guess a common thing - see Great Gatsby for example - I'm sure the Hollywood parties looked crazy to the outside world, they were totally debauched with sex happening, maybe cocaine use and jazz! And if you were a Farner from Iowa or a clerk from Massachusetts that was impossibly and unimaginably out of reach. But all that is now pretty much available to normal people in the 21st century so filmmakers have a dilemma in depicting those parties, they have to sacrifice either realism or any kind of idea that they were shocking, here they opt for the former and give us bacchanalian orgies with hundreds of naked women, men being sodomised with champagne bottles, mountains of drugs and the occasional elephant which... well I dunno how true to life but it's more fun that way I suppose.

Anyway, what have I missed?

Last edited:

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Went to see Babylon today and have quite a few thoughts bubbling up as a result - but I think I have to put them in this thread cos despite the discussion begun by @Clinamenic in the other thread, I can't in good conscience recommend it with no reservations. That said, it passed the time enjoyably enough, although the first half filled with one-liners and amusing action (I loved the tension filled race to get the camera as he cranks the truck faster and fasrer, taking nail-biting risks as the scenery rushes by - and then a cut to the speedometer that shows him touching 40mph) was inevitably more fun than the inevitable downward trajectory of the second half.

I'm feeling slightly sick and possibly delirious after Pedro made us buy these horrible/delicious cheesey nachos which came with a pot of weird heated pseudo-cheese sauce. Luckily in Cinema World my bladder was spared by a seven minute interval crudely hacked out in the middle of the film, regardless of that moment happening to fall in the middle of a sentence.

Anyway got a load of things that occur to me straight away and which I'm gonna blurt out in no particular order; the main thing was the way that a lot of it felt second hand, partly cos the film was very similar to a number of other films AND cos it also contained scenes which seemed to refer to or pay homage to other films... so there were several bits that made you think they you had seen them before in several different ways.

The most obvious comparison is Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, a long and meandering love (and hate) letter to the cinema of yesteryear in which Brad Pitt played a stunt double to Dicaprio's washed up film star and Margot Robie had a brief involvement as film star Sharon Tate. In Babylon's long and meandering letter to Hollywood of a different yesteryear Brad Pitt has been promoted from stunt double to actual fading star and Robbie stays as a film star, albeit one with a lot more screen time.

The most derivative scene, or perhaps the one that was the most direct homage was when MILD SPOILERS they try to scam a weird gangster by paying off some gambling debts with fake money. Almost exactly the same as in Boogie Nights when they make a similar plan to sell a load of fake coke to an equally bizarre gangster, in each case the strategy for fooling him is "He won't check it" - in both scenes the gangster is attended by an armed heavy and in both cases the tension is increased by the fact that annoying noises - in BN firecrackers being continually let off by the gangster's Chinese catamite, in Babylon the repeated snorting and spitting of phlegm by his bodyguard - keep breaking into the conversation as they stare guiltily at the bag of fake goods. It was this last bit that convinced me the similarity was deliberate SPOILERS END

So that was one way
Didn't think about similarity to the Boogie Nights scene, but you're totally right. Plus, very much like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Robbie's character (a rising actress in both films) goes to see her own film in a theater.

Also much of the film is explicitly derived from Singin' in the Rain (one of my favorite films), as the end of the film reveals. The whole endless-takes-trying-to-capture-the-sound scene was also lifted straight from Singin in the Rain.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The film was really sensational, and I typically have a tough time soberly assessing such sensational films, but now that I've digested it more, I'd still say its worth seeing, really for the spectacle if nothing else. I also just admire the boldness it takes to actually create epics like that, even if the stories and performances are meh.

This film I do think did well to capture an electric energy, something Tarantino usually does well at too.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Didn't think about similarity to the Boogie Nights scene, but you're totally right. Plus, very much like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Robbie's character (a rising actress in both films) goes to see her own film in a theater.

Oh yeah you're right she does.

Also much of the film is explicitly derived from Singin' in the Rain (one of my favorite films), as the end of the film reveals. The whole endless-takes-trying-to-capture-the-sound scene was also lifted straight from Singin in the Rain.
Did I not mention Singing In The Rain, I certainly meant to?

We were talking about the"endless takes" scene - they actually have about seven takes which doesn't sound like insanely many to me, but it feels like a lot cos they show them all in full, in the end we sort of agreed that he'd chosen to do it that way rather than by skipping forward and saying "Take seventy-four" cos doing it without cheating like that felt longer, and at the same time he couldn't give over two hours of the film to repeated takes (though maybe that would have been funny, sort of like the candle scene in Nostalgia but even more so) so we had to suspend disbelief a little and pretend that seven takes is unheard of.

The angry German director, was he based on someone do you think? How about the woman who directed Nellie for that matter?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Oh yeah you're right she does.

Did I not mention Singing In The Rain, I certainly meant to?

We were talking about the"endless takes" scene - they actually have about seven takes which doesn't sound like insanely many to me, but it feels like a lot cos they show them all in full, in the end we sort of agreed that he'd chosen to do it that way rather than by skipping forward and saying "Take seventy-four" cos doing it without cheating like that felt longer, and at the same time he couldn't give over two hours of the film to repeated takes (though maybe that would have been funny, sort of like the candle scene in Nostalgia but even more so) so we had to suspend disbelief a little and pretend that seven takes is unheard of.

The angry German director, was he based on someone do you think? How about the woman who directed Nellie for that matter?
The German director, I don't know. Pretty sure both Fritz Lang and Ernst Lubitsch were in Hollywood in the early 20th century, but I'm not sure if either were there in the silent era, or if either were known to be angry haha.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The German director, I don't know. Pretty sure both Fritz Lang and Ernst Lubitsch were in Hollywood in the early 20th century, but I'm not sure if either were there in the silent era, or if either were known to be angry haha.

Not sure Lang ever directed that kind of epic battle type film anyway.

I'd assume, if Hollywood Babylon was the source material, that it would be Josef Von Sternberg? ( actually Austrian, but so was Hitler, which makes him near enough? )

Hmm Josef Von Sternberg/Otto von Strassberger... seems like a pretty good guess I'd say.

catalog

I saw the Banshees of inisherrin last night and really enjoyed it. I was thinking anyone who is actually Irish might find it a bit offensive cos the bits that were funniest to me were all the details around the the way of phrasing words and the rhythm of the dialogue. I heard that mcdonagh was a playwright before he became a filmmaker and this feels very much like a play, like David mamet or something. Action happening in the background that you cannot see, everything in the dialogue and performances.

Maybe as well, with the landscape, and my recent experiences being out all night on the moors, alone, sort of struck by this intense but uncaring beauty of the setting they are in.

I love how they go to the pub at 2.

I think it could be his best film, might not work on a second viewing but one of those I wish I saw in the cinema cos its so sparse and you are actually wondering what happens next.

I was saying to my wife that if feels like some sort of metaphor for "the Irish situation"? The rifle sounds in the distance, the vendetta thing that develops. The cutting off of fingers in spite, to the extent he can no longer play.

Then started watching "Dirty Harry" after reading about it in two different books recently (tarantino's "cinema speculation" and jasun horsleys "seen and not seen") and it is really good, sort of "pure" cinema in that there's a lot of silent sequences and it's visually really strong, with all the sweeping shots of SF and then this kind of contrasting thing of the action bits.

BUT unlike tarantino and horsley, I find Eastwood a really terrible actor, I've never liked him. I do understand his appeal but I find him really wooden and not quite able to pull off his one liners. Always found "unforgiven" a bit laboured.

Fell asleep before it finished, will try to watch it all at some point, also wanna see high plains drifter and escape from alcatraz, do a mini Clint Eastwood season, but not the best of starts.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I saw the Banshees of inisherrin last night and really enjoyed it. I was thinking anyone who is actually Irish might find it a bit offensive cos the bits that were funniest to me were all the details around the the way of phrasing words and the rhythm of the dialogue. I heard that mcdonagh was a playwright before he became a filmmaker and this feels very much like a play, like David mamet or something. Action happening in the background that you cannot see, everything in the dialogue and performances.

Maybe as well, with the landscape, and my recent experiences being out all night on the moors, alone, sort of struck by this intense but uncaring beauty of the setting they are in.

I love how they go to the pub at 2.

I think it could be his best film, might not work on a second viewing but one of those I wish I saw in the cinema cos its so sparse and you are actually wondering what happens next.

I was saying to my wife that if feels like some sort of metaphor for "the Irish situation"? The rifle sounds in the distance, the vendetta thing that develops. The cutting off of fingers in spite, to the extent he can no longer play.

Then started watching "Dirty Harry" after reading about it in two different books recently (tarantino's "cinema speculation" and jasun horsleys "seen and not seen") and it is really good, sort of "pure" cinema in that there's a lot of silent sequences and it's visually really strong, with all the sweeping shots of SF and then this kind of contrasting thing of the action bits.

BUT unlike tarantino and horsley, I find Eastwood a really terrible actor, I've never liked him. I do understand his appeal but I find him really wooden and not quite able to pull off his one liners. Always found "unforgiven" a bit laboured.

Fell asleep before it finished, will try to watch it all at some point, also wanna see high plains drifter and escape from alcatraz, do a mini Clint Eastwood season, but not the best of starts.
I just rewatched Banshees last night, second viewing. I also think it’s McDonagh’s best film, and maybe Ferrell’s best performance (at least that I’ve seen).

On the second viewing, something new I picked up on was the parallel between the civil warfare on the mainland, and the friendship conflict of the main story. Both are cases of domestic infighting, and I wonder about the IRA history two because maybe there are deeper parallels. EG Ferrells character wanted things to remain the same, and Gleesons character wanted things to change and he felt strong enough about to to break the peace.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I enjoyed Inisherin a lot, very funny and so on (and it spoke to me in particular about the difficulty of breaking up a friendship), but this article actually pinpointed a sense it left me with of it not actually amounting to all that much, at making all the gestures of a serious examination of existence might make but actually not really leaving you disquieted or disturbed or haunted.

And I agree with him that the Irish Civil War metaphor felt tacked on, not really getting into what the conflict was really about beyond the standard "aren't men stupid with their fighting?" sort of message. (But i see climanenenineininenic has said something clever about that above, so.)

catalog

I think Stan should go back to constant escape myself, it's a bit more easy to understand than climenatic.