Films you've seen recently and would recommend WITH reservations

version

@catalog I may have mentioned my idiotic dose of thousands of mushrooms to you once, but the Beckett trilogy follows the same trajectory of the room falling away, stuck on a bed before all that exists is a white light with no you and no me...

I once had 300 or so and threw up all over my mum's house. I can't imagine what thousands would have been like; much more vomit, I suppose.

😂

version

I'm watching wolf of Wall Street now. Has anyone ever had a quaalude or is it true they don't exist now @IdleRich

My research suggests they stopped making them in UK, US and Europe a long time back... however, I understand that in South Africa they persisted with them as a prescription drug for a considerable while after that - I'm afraid that I don't know their present status and I've never had one.

I read a great story about them. Sadly, it's probably bollocks.

This bloke said he worked with some older guy in a workshop somewhere who had a bunch of fingers missing from one hand. Apparently he'd been working on ludes, lopped his fingers off in a daze, hurriedly gathered them up in his lunchbox and gone to the hospital, but when he opened it up, he'd just picked up a bunch of twigs.

version

One thing I did think was wrong was that in my 2 trips to Ireland I never heard anyone say feck, that's a Myth. They all say fuck like normal people but it's must a bit more heavy leaning on the initial breath

I was surprised to learn In Bruges was made by an Irish guy because it felt like the person who made it thought the Irish accent was inherently comical.

IdleRich

IdleRich
My research suggests they stopped making them in UK, US and Europe a long time back... however, I understand that in South Africa they persisted with them as a prescription drug for a considerable while after that - I'm afraid that I don't know their present status and I've never had one.

I remember now, was wondering how/why I knew that but i think I saw a documentary about it; they would make short glass pipes by knocking the end off a wine or maybe beer bottle so they just had the neck and then pack that with something that burned slowly and made it a bit thinner before filling the rest with hash and - the icing on the cake - the quaalude. Then they would smoke it and, from what I saw, they would fall to the ground and pass out.

Wikipedia implies this is still happening

Illicit methaqualone is one of the most commonly used recreational drugs in South Africa. Manufactured clandestinely, often in India, it comes in tablet form, but is smoked with marijuana. This method of ingestion is known as "white pipe".[19][20] It is popular elsewhere in Africa and in India

william_kent

I remember now, was wondering how/why I knew that but i think I saw a documentary about it; they would make short glass pipes by knocking the end off a wine or maybe beer bottle so they just had the neck and then pack that with something that burned slowly and made it a bit thinner before filling the rest with hash and - the icing on the cake - the quaalude. Then they would smoke it and, from what I saw, they would fall to the ground and pass out.

Wikipedia implies this is still happening

words are not adequate to describe the hate I have for "hamilton", the son of one of the worst documentary directors ever... but I feel compelled to hate watch any media he produces:

The Story of the South African Quaalude (Hamilton's Pharmacopeia Full Episode)

I seem to remember this has various scenes of dudes collapsing to the floor

his privilege vs the deprivation of the SA "shanty towns" is astounding... a prime dick

william_kent

one of my favourite "Hamilton" moments is when he is in Thailand and while lying on his hotel bed he announces to the film crew that he is prepared to venture into forbidden territory despite the threat of the death penalty because he has "good lawyers" and they will "get him off" and the paid help are all obviously slack jawed at being thrown under the bus by this over privileged rich kid...

unfortunately I can't find the clip, but I think it is his vice funded documentary about kratom

he's such a dick

Last edited:

martin

----
Watched M3GAN earlier and enjoyed it, way more than I thought I would. Thought it had a real Peter Strickland vibe at times.