shit in art galleries

martin

----
Thought "shit in art galleries" was going to be some oblique strategy/command :)

Yeah, I personally loved seeing Leonor Fini's "Little Hermit Sphinx" and Dali's lobster phone in the Tate Modern, was kinda mesmerised by both...pretty sure I gushed about these on here before though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The other day we went to Tate Modern (our friend gave us his membership plus one card and we saw paid three shows each, stole about one hundred and thirty quid's worth of art you could say) and the first one was Cezanne. Neither of us were fans of Cezanne particuarly when we went in, and when we left I wouldn't say that had changed much. But what struck me was how revered he was, and his "With an apple I will astonish Paris" was pretty good - anyway one thing we saw was a photo of a load of famous artists admiring a Cezanne, amongst them was Odilon Redon which did remind me of when as a kid I went to Amsterdam with my parents and, maybe for the first time, certainly the first time I remember, went to a proper art gallery - the Van Gogh - but it was the touring show by Redon that blew my young mind and I guess which made me interested in art and art galleries from then on.

I mean with hindsight it's a very teenage thing to like (I was probably about twelve) but I will always have a soft spot for his weird gothic spidery sketches.

RedonFace.jpeg

RedoneSpider.jpeg

Redon2.jpeg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Odilon Redon which did remind me of when as a kid I went to Amsterdam with my parents and, maybe for the first time, certainly the first time I remember, went to a proper art gallery - the Van Gogh - but it was the touring show by Redon that blew my young mind and I guess which made me interested in art and art galleries from then on.

I mean with hindsight it's a very teenage thing to like (I was probably about twelve) but I will always have a soft spot for his weird gothic spidery sketches.

I had a quick look around to see if I could work out what year Redon was at the Van Gogh in Amsterdam... and turns out, it was 2022!

https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/vis...t-exhibitions/andries-bonger-and-odilon-redon

I guess the shows come back around eventually...

luka

im not especially susceptible to being ravished by image so that a lot of the pleasure i get from galleries is the historical. tracking the development of self-consciousness in the faces presented say, or the accumulation and display of wealth through the centuries. a look of self satisfaction that displaces the (phony or otherwise) projection of sanctity

luka

having said that colour is an obvious pleasure. the purple field of cezanne, the gold leaf rennassaince, titian's blue, the warm umbers of tuscan hills and flesh, brown rooms of rembrant

luka

acheivements also, of seeing. the conceptual understanding of seeing and the representation of seeing and how that develops over time. how to represent space, light etc

luka

occasionally i'll walk under a tree in sunlight here and think about a kind of timless or archetypal england and how that was fixed by english painting. i also like the way you can disappear into the scenes of painters like claude, again into panoramas which take on a quality of the timeless

luka

in certain paintings of the italian rennaisaance even the skies are umber and ochre. it's a very nice feeling. giorgione.

luka

theres a way in which we reverse engineer affect from face and body and feel it within ourselves and in that way painting can introduce us to realms of feeling we had not hitherto encountered, particularly in painting from relatively distant epochs or cultures. eg, the beatific

luka

and painting will very often present pure expressions of say, devotion, with no admixture or contaminant, which again gives it a quality of the timeless or archetypal

shakahislop

Thought "shit in art galleries" was going to be some oblique strategy/command :)

that's what this thread was supposed to be about i don't know what everyone else is on about

i have actually shit in art galleries, they're a good place to find excellent toilets when you're out and about

luka

always looks great on instagram. pretty girl with tate modern backdrop.

IdleRich

IdleRich
When we were at the Tate we did make a deliberate and conscious decision to lighten the load there instead of the next pub on the basis that the toilets would be way better.

luka

tate toilets are ok but shakespeares globe is a better bet, particuarly the ones in the basement.