America and England

IdleRich

IdleRich
Americans often say "A British accent" which is strange to me, yesterday they had Bill and Ted Face the Music on telly (don't bother) and I was mildly surprised to hear them say "an English accent" at one point, which, I mean, it still only narrows it down to about fifty but just sounds better to my ears.

Leo

The average American has no idea there's a difference between English and British; use England and UK interchangeably. Dumb fucks.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
How Americans See the British (and its many subcultures) case study one

Northern Virginia suburbs, 2011, catching up with an old football mate who escaped Glasgow and wanted to introduce his latest partner. She was a ditz, sort of innocent type, fine looking though no mistake and when we went out for a munch started picking my brain about what she was getting into lightly, as a haha-jokey aside. The type of gambit where you know they genuinely want an insight. So I told her about away days with The Green Brigade

He started shaking his head out of sight, verboten, gesturing sssshhhh don’t go there ya cunt, yet I managed to steer it onto clothes, rivalries, rites of passage, music and passing phases of a misspent youth, except she wanted to know more. We went back to his for a smoke, where I got “not the football” spiel in hushed tones out on a balcony but it was too funny to omit. Meanwhile this lass had googled casual culture and, knowing the pecker from LOTR, picked out Green Street insisting on watching it there and then

War crime film with every cliche, wooden, made Rise of the Footsoldier look the work of a savant but you could see her absorbing the loose strands of myth and masculinity, then slowly exclaiming “gross”, “why?”, “hobbits aren’t... like...this?”. She dumped him the morning after, which he admits now was for the better

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The fact that most of us can afford to conflate "England" with "UK" arguably says a lot, geopolitically.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I will say that lately, due to my recent film viewings, Terence Davies has been single-handedly raising my opinion of England and/or UK.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I was also about to concede that I'm presently drinking one of those big boy cans of Foster's, but it turns out thats a product of Melbourne.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I will also concede that, from my disinterested perspective, soccer is more sophisticated than what we call football.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Moments like this make me wish for a "laughing at you" emoji as contradistinguished from a "laughing with you" emoji. As for how to graphically convey that difference, I myself (as an esteemed graphic designer) am at a loss, so I can hardly fault the folks at the Unicode Consortium.