Short Films - suggestions and help

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've started a thing showing underground films to Lisbon's curious. I suppose that I got fed up of moaning about how nothing like that was happening and decided to do it myself. I have found a bar that has a good room for it and an owner that is on the same wavelength as me. I've had to bow to the inevitable and recognise that people are gonna buy drinks and smoke cigarettes every few minutes and so I'm gonna show short films. Maybe an hour length tops. The idea is that if it becomes successful and I build up a few members then I can try feature length films on geeks who have an attention span of more than ten mins.

I also play soundtracks before, between and after the films and I'm getting loads of guests to play - the more people involved the better basically.

Now I don't know that much about short films, but luckily ninety-nine percent of Lisbonites know even less, so although the first night was a hurriedly thrown together mixture of fairly well known classics, I think most of them thought it was a brilliantly curated selection of obscure gems.

Anyway first 'trial' night was well-attended and people enjoyed it. So it's gonna be monthly on a Weds from 8th Feb. And it's good cos I know very little about shorts so I'm gonna learn as we go.

This is where you lot come in - I need suggestions for cool, underground short film weirdness. I'll probably need help finding them too.

First time I showed La Cabina ( Spanish horror), The Mascot (Russian animation), Meshes of the Afternoon (famous American avant-garde thing) and Visa de Censure X (French psychedelic thing).

All of the above were silent or the diogue was not important which is quite handy for an international audience, but not mandatory.

Got a few ideas this time, my friend from Lithuania has suggested a psychedelic cartoon from there, I'm also trying to find a copy of Le Grand Depart which I saw years ago and would be perfect (see the Shit I Galleries thread) and I've just remembered a weird thing called La Fee Sanguinare (The Bloodthirsty Fairy) which I saw years ago and would love to get a copy of ( there is also an extremely obscure sequel called The Crazed Sex of the Bloodthirsty Fairy) which is love to see.

So anyone know how to find those, or has other tips - hit me! And thank you.

IdleRich

IdleRich
La Fee Sanguinare Two thugs deliver a barrel at a suburban doorstep. The occupant (a young member of the bourgeoisie – Lethem’s symbol for all that is wrong with society) returns and opens it, only to find a beautiful naked woman who he eventually makes love to. Flashbacks reveal something of the girl’s happily sadistic and anarchic existence – on one occasion she calmly puts out the eyes of a little child, on another she strangles a nun with her rosary (shades of William Blake) after causing the Woman of God raptures by massaging her voluminous breasts. None of this can, however, prepare us for the shock of the blood upshot.

At the end of the film she cuts his dick off and puts it in a jar with his name on - then she adds it to her collection of jars with famous names on; I think one was Nelson Mandela,
[\spoiler]

catalog

See if you can find the shorts on these rich, they are all pretty good

Esp this one

And I think there's euro and world versions in the same series.

Martin scorseses short the big shave is a classic.

What else?

Mash up by Jesse Lawrence is good.

"pussyole"

And Andrea Arnold's wasp maybe?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thanks for the tips guys.

I know I didn't say it but I suppose I was hoping for a bit of discussion too; why you picked that particular film, what's good about it etc what you think of the medium in general compared to feature films and longer.

Like do you think I should give each night a theme of some kind? On the first evening I showed four films and each was from a different decade and a different country, they were different too in terms of being colour or b&w or animated or whatever.

I felt that by selecting in that way I had shown something of the variety to expect. Also, I thought finding ones that were effectively silent was a good start as well cos the audience was so international. But for the rest of the nights I'm not gonna restrict myself to films with no dialogue.

But what do you think, themes or just random films?

@catalog have you ever done anything like this? Seems like the sort of thing you might do.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That John Smith one is good but I prefer his one called The Black Tower, I think that would be a pretty good choice in fact. Think it might go down well. Cheers.

catalog

Thanks for the tips guys.

I know I didn't say it but I suppose I was hoping for a bit of discussion too; why you picked that particular film, what's good about it etc what you think of the medium in general compared to feature films and longer.

Like do you think I should give each night a theme of some kind? On the first evening I showed four films and each was from a different decade and a different country, they were different too in terms of being colour or b&w or animated or whatever.

I felt that by selecting in that way I had shown something of the variety to expect. Also, I thought finding ones that were effectively silent was a good start as well cos the audience was so international. But for the rest of the nights I'm not gonna restrict myself to films with no dialogue.

But what do you think, themes or just random films?

@catalog have you ever done anything like this? Seems like the sort of thing you might do.
I've put together one night of short films (mine and 2 others) at a local cinema but that's about it. But for a while, when I was making short films myself, I saw a lot, a lot, a lot.

Very hard to say what I like about each one. The John Smith one is just very funny, as is the scorsese one really. What's good about that in particular is that it's silent. Mash up had an impact on me when I first saw it, but it seems to have diminished a little since then (watched it again last night).

So those were just a few off the top of my head.

Over the years, I've seen a lot of short films grouped together in programmes and I think it's tricky to get right. If you can find a theme, that's probably a good idea, but it's easier said than done.

Short films can be a hard watch in a group of them, cos the good ones require, like all films, a certain amount of concentration and attention. It can be hard to focus on a few together, that's my experience anyway.

Oh I forgot my all time favourite short ever which is hard to find online but here it is for you.

catalog

This is good too

Would also consider any Kenneth anger films, the soundtracks are great. My fav is the first one with the sailors which is a bit different but there's something about that big when all the blood comes out of his nose

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Jarman’s The Art of Mirrors because it’s sublime (whoever added the music have a word with yourselves)

Journey to Avebury, for the sepia-toned hues and you could add Coil’s track with same name for brevity

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've put together one night of short films (mine and 2 others) at a local cinema but that's about it. But for a while, when I was making short films myself, I saw a lot, a lot, a lot.

Very hard to say what I like about each one. The John Smith one is just very funny, as is the scorsese one really. What's good about that in particular is that it's silent. Mash up had an impact on me when I first saw it, but it seems to have diminished a little since then (watched it again last night).

So those were just a few off the top of my head.

Over the years, I've seen a lot of short films grouped together in programmes and I think it's tricky to get right. If you can find a theme, that's probably a good idea, but it's easier said than done.

Short films can be a hard watch in a group of them, cos the good ones require, like all films, a certain amount of concentration and attention. It can be hard to focus on a few together, that's my experience anyway.

Oh I forgot my all time favourite short ever which is hard to find online but here it is for you.

That link is totally blank in mine.

I think that often if you go to a night showing short films made in Lisbon that month or as entries to a competition type thing, or anything like that with a rule for which films you are gonna see, then the films tend to be hit and miss. But as I can pick any films i like from history, I should be able to get ones good enough to keep people locked on... hopefully.

And I think I am not gonna have a theme to start with as that is an unnecessary extra restriction. I'm just gonna pick several good films each time. Maybe I do themed nights as a one-off in the future, but right now, the aim is to simply show the best films I can and get as many as I can sucked in.

Seems like you might be a good person to know here - hope you don't mind if I pick your brains a little from time to time

Have you seen The Black Tower by the same guy who did Girl Chewing Gum? That is really good.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Jarman’s The Art of Mirrors because it’s sublime (whoever added the music have a word with yourselves)

Journey to Avebury, for the sepia-toned hues and you could add Coil’s track with same name for brevity

Ok good tips, thanks, keep em coming.

I think I'm aiming to show about two hours of film each night, maybe two and a half

version

Would also consider any Kenneth anger films, the soundtracks are great. My fav is the first one with the sailors which is a bit different but there's something about that big when all the blood comes out of his nose

I got that BFI set of the Magick Lantern Cycle for Christmas.

kenneth_anger_1.jpg

william_kent

Ira Cohen - The Invasion of The Thunderbolt Pagoda ( 1968 )

one of those experimental films where you can turn the original soundtrack* down and just play what the fuck you want over the top while it's playing and it'll still work

I saw an interview with him and he struck me as a "creepy dude" but so is Kenneth Anger and this would work extremely well as a companion piece to Anger's Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome or, maybe, Invocation of My Demon Brother

although the original Angus MacLiese Soundtrack isn't bad....

skip to the 9 minute mark for the come up psychedelic experience

edit: I would send you a rip of my DVD version but I don't seem to be able to make it up 500 metres to the local post office as at least one other regular poster to this forum will attest

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's a pretty famous film right? It's always in lists of "most psychedelic films ever" but I don't think I've ever seen it, certainly not all the way through.

william_kent

That's a pretty famous film right? It's always in lists of "most psychedelic films ever" but I don't think I've ever seen it, certainly not all the way through.

yeah, I'd send you the DVD but as mentioned I just can't get it together to walk up the road...

plus another load of obstacles like I'd have to resurrect the 'tower" and find a blank DVD-r and burn it...etc.,

but it is one of those films where you can just screen it and play whatever music over the top and it will all make sense...

Last edited:

william_kent

although if I was doing a short film night I'd probably end up screening the darkest public information films:

Lonely Water ( 1973 )

Apaches ( 1977 )

( the kid drowning in the slurry is particularly bleak )

edit: just rewatching it now and I have to admit I laughed out loud at the kid falling off the tractor and his guts flying all over the road ( approx 4:45 )

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
P
yeah, I'd send you the DVD but as mentioned I just can't get it together to walk up the road...

plus another load of obstacles like I'd have to resurrect the 'tower" and find a blank DVD-r and burn it...etc.,

but it is one of those films where you can just screen it and play whatever music over the top and it will all make sense...

I have a feeling it's a bit like Visa de Censure X in that respect. At the end of the first film night I put that on as a background thing, said "talk amongst yourselves"