Oxfordshire Culture mafia

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
big council estates in every village. 100% sold off. not one left in public hands. you can tell by the construction and the massive gardens. a layer of history. they cost 400k now. a type of person is dying off, other types of people are being created in their place. all these rural people whose house has earned more then they have. living inside a small fortune that can only be cashed in if they move two hundred miles away from home. the pubs are almost all gone, there are more and more coffee shops instead.
Loving these on point descriptions of my home county, helping me to see it more clearly

shakahislop

Loving these on point descriptions of my home county, helping me to see it more clearly
@zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks@zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks@zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks @zerobooks

IdleRich

IdleRich
it could be argued that the inklings ( and by association, Oxfordshire ) have had more of an effect on modern culture than the Bloomsbury set or some other artsy fartsy London clique - I doubt film adaptations of Virginia Woolfe have been watched as by many people as the Hobbit / LOTR or even the various Lion, Witch and Wardrobe TV programmes...
And Lewis also wrote the space trilogy - plus a load of more highbrow things which are really meditations on religion... or perhaps just Christianity...

I remember thinking that this was good
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Till_We_Have_Faces

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
1200px-Flag_of_Oxfordshire.svg.png

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You could have an equivalent coat of arms for Portsmouth, only it's a seagull with a plastic thingy from a four-pack of lager.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Apparently Buckinghamshire was known for breeding swans for the Royals.
What do they use them for, though? Eating? Shooting? Or does Randy Andy have even more unspeakable predilections than the ones we know about?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"Swans were bred for Anglo-Saxon kings whose line ended with the Norman Conquest."

I'm guessing they kept them as picturesque pets.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Swan meat was regarded as a luxury food in England in the reign of Elizabeth I. A recipe for baked swan survives from that time: "To bake a Swan Scald it and take out the bones, and parboil it, then season it very well with Pepper, Salt and Ginger, then lard it, and put it in a deep Coffin of Rye Paste with store of Butter, close it and bake it very well, and when it is baked, fill up the Vent-hole with melted Butter, and so keep it; serve it in as you do the Beef-Pie."[35]

The Illustrious Brotherhood of Our Blessed Lady, a religious confraternity which existed in 's-Hertogenbosch in the late Middle Ages, had 'sworn members', also called 'swan-brethren' because they used to donate a swan for the yearly banquet.

luka

Swan meat was regarded as a luxury food in England in the reign of Elizabeth I. A recipe for baked swan survives from that time: "To bake a Swan Scald it and take out the bones, and parboil it, then season it very well with Pepper, Salt and Ginger, then lard it, and put it in a deep Coffin of Rye Paste with store of Butter, close it and bake it very well, and when it is baked, fill up the Vent-hole with melted Butter, and so keep it; serve it in as you do the Beef-Pie."[35]

The Illustrious Brotherhood of Our Blessed Lady, a religious confraternity which existed in 's-Hertogenbosch in the late Middle Ages, had 'sworn members', also called 'swan-brethren' because they used to donate a swan for the yearly banquet.

shakahislop

went to see this film 'WORK STUDIES IN SCHOOLS: STUDIES OF TEACHING IN FOUR OXFORDSHIRE SCHOOLS'

anthologyfilmarchives.org/film_screenings/calendar?view=list&month=04&year=2023#showing-56019

it was basically an hour and a half of footage the cinema had selected from ten full hours of footage shot in classes in oxfordshire in the 70s. each shot is pretty much half an hour long and it looks like someone being given a camera to use for the first time, he spends a lot time zooming in on girls' faces and pointing the camera at random things on the walls. obviously it's great and obviously its also pretty boring sometimes. the first half was a art class at Cheney in Headington, the second half was an art class at Radley College. it's like watching ghosts, a thing of the past that's totally gone. hard not to think of the hauntology thing. would recommend it to the oxfordshire culture mafia but i don't know if there's any way of getting hold of it, i couldn't find it online when i looked for it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Who was the guy who used to be on dissensus and he wrote these weird stories... there was that began with a father saying "come on son we're gonna go and smash fuck out of a swan"?