SØS Gunver Ryberg

entertainment

Mainly curious about what @thirdform thinks.

Personally really enjoyed this new album that came out a few days ago. One of the few current techno producers I pay attention to.

version

I've got the album on atm. The cover's appropriate. Definitely got that undulating, tendril-like quality. Deep sea or space. Sounds biological despite the obvious electronic production. Reminds me of Ae and Rashad Becker.

shakahislop

on my first spin. always takes me quite a lot of listens to get into something as chaotic as this i find, rarely have the patience for it. it has that autechre quality of never settling into anything, fidgeting around, impenetrable to begin with

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Mainly curious about what @thirdform thinks.

Personally really enjoyed this new album that came out a few days ago. One of the few current techno producers I pay attention to.

It's pleasant enough certainly but not particularly interesting or worthy of conversation, I'm afraid. I wouldn't necessarily call it musically boring (although granted I have free jazz and electroacoustic to satiate that mathematical need) but compositionally it doesn't have the singular electro-derived tunnel vision of Autechre or the synaesthesia of Rashad Becker, or the sheer intensity of Jan rob/Atomhead.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
also contra stockhausen I wish techno producers would explore alternative periodic and metric rhythms. Like, 7/8, 9/2 etc, with the full range of percussive textures. A lot of electronic music still seems to rely on the logic of the western drum kit. The Safa album was promising in that respect.