James Cameron, Jacques Cousteau, & the Undersea

sus

Really enjoyed watching the opening episode of The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau. Been getting into diving, deep-sea environments, and James Cameron films all at once, thought I'd spin up a thread.

Not sure if anyone's seen The Abyss, it's a wild ride of a movie with some emotional punches early in the last act. One of the overarching thematic-conceptual ideas is to connect the undersea with space exploration. The subs are like the alien spacecraft in Close Encounters, coming over the hill in the night, except it's the blue darkness of undersea, and the terrain is thousands of feet below the surface. We get hydronaut suits, air locks, the way they walk across the sea floor like it’s the moon. The emphasis, in the sound mixing, on the assisted respiration, the oxygen tanks. And of course the aliens or "NTIs"—non-terrestrial intelligences.

Also happy to talk about Aliens, Life Aquatic, Avatar: Way of Water, and Steinbeck's The Pearl, or anything about pearl-diving, the bends, and deep sea work in general.

sus

This was an interesting read as well, about how extreme an occupation deep-sea diving can be: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/what-is-a-saturation-diver

Hovey and his fellow divers spent that six-week assignment working at the relatively shallow (but still quite deadly) depth of 250 feet, and living in a shipboard capsule pressurized to the same level. Pressure can be measured in atmospheres (atm) or pounds per square inch (psi). Pressure at sea level is 1 atm, or 14.7 psi. Inside a bicycle tire is about 65 psi. Hovey was living at over 110 psi. An ocean-and-a-half away, diver Steve Tweddle was making his way through a 28-day job in “storage,” as they call it, for work at a depth of 426 feet (190 psi) in the North Sea.

Saturation divers breathe heliox for the entire time they are in storage. And this brings us back to those final family phone calls. Helium is about seven times lighter than air, and sound waves travel much more quickly through it. The result is that buff, often ex-military men performing deadly serious jobs end up sounding like cartoon characters—and not just for a few moments, but for weeks on end. In the unfortunately named BBC series Real Men, a saturation diver in storage calls his son to wish him a happy birthday. “It’s hard to understand my dad because he talks in a duck language,” the boy says later, “and I don’t speak duck.”

version

There's some great trivia on the Abyss IMDB page.

Ed Harris reportedly punched James Cameron in the face after he kept filming while he was nearly drowning.

Ed Harris had such a traumatic experience making the film that he refused to go into detail about it for years. One of the few things he said about it was "Asking me how I was treated on The Abyss is like asking a soldier how he was treated in Vietnam."

Ed Harris had to pull over his car at one time while driving home, because he burst into spontaneous crying.

• Love
Reactions: sus

sus

doesn't surprise me at all, that film is fucking intense and none of the water shots are CGI'd and given what we've heard about e.g. Kate Winslet setting the breath-holding record for a Hollywood film (something nuts like 6 or 7 minutes?)

version

Have you seen a Kristen Stewart film called Underwater? It's a fairly standard Alien retread until the last twenty minutes or so when it goes full Lovecraft.

@linebaugh and I were discussing submechanophobia the other day. There are online communities based around it where people swap photos of oil rig struts and stuff.

Submechanophobia (from Latin sub 'under'; and from Ancient Greek μηχανή (mechané) 'machine' and φόβος (phóbos) 'fear') is a fear of submerged human-made objects, either partially or entirely underwater. These objects could be shipwrecks, statues, animatronics as seen in theme parks, or old buildings, but also more mundane items such as buoys and miscellaneous debris.

• Wow
Reactions: sus

catalog

I watched the abyss after seeing avatar 2. Must admit I nodded off a bit in the boring middle big but I thought it picked up at the end.

Totally agree about the water as space analogy. When they go deep down it definitely looks like outer space and you can see he was pushing that angle.

Not much else to add apart from that urbanomic snippet from a while back about freuds disciple firenczi and the idea of sea as primal mother.

Moynihan, in the spinal catastrophism book, says ballard almost definitely would have read up on one of the recapitulation theories as advanced by a guy called Firenczi (might have spelt that wrong), who was a student of Freuds, but took some of Freuds ideas further eg he said our pleasure in baths and water is not about being back in the mothers womb, but more about our going back further and wanting to be in the fucking sea

IdleRich

IdleRich
doesn't surprise me at all, that film is fucking intense and none of the water shots are CGI'd and given what we've heard about e.g. Kate Winslet setting the breath-holding record for a Hollywood film (something nuts like 6 or 7 minutes?)
The world record is almost twenty-five minutes, how can that be possible? It's so far beyond normal capacity it's like reading someone can run 100m in three seconds or can jump 50m in the air.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
The Abyss, hands down, is the worst film ever made. It was the only film available on long coach ride which had an actual video player and I’ve hated it ever since

Ed whatshisface’s big bald head, drowning clips aren’t remotely impactful, even Donnie Darko stole its watery tentacles. The Deep (77) trumps it and even that only has one moment with a conga eel snagging a diver’s hand to add any chutzpah

E00D745B-FB30-4D8B-80C0-540516674A9F.jpeg