De La Soul

Benny Bunter

The singles are great and just something I heard on the radio all the time as a kid, but when I finally got the album on cd years later it seemed a bit bloated with tedious skits that went on forever so I never really got into it

version

I can't find the interview (@version) but I think they said they didn't like how it took hip hop into a samples motivated direction.

cos they favoured the more experimental original beats / electro-y strain.

I've never come across that interview, but it makes sense. As @mvuent said of Untilted . . .
" ... pretend kurtis mantronik didn't release anything after music madness and then after 20 years came out with this,"

catalog

Few years later I went to see de la soul in Manchester.

In fact I think I went cos this cousin I'm staying with now was visiting and wanted to go, and it was so rubbish. One of the worst gigs I've ever been to. They were trying to get the crowd hyped but without doing a lot themselves.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
One thing that's interesting for me about listening to 3 Feet... Is that it fills in a missing link in rap history and I can hear where other things come from

Like Quasimodo "The Unseen" was a big favourite of mine as a teenager and I can now see that it's totally following in the 3 Foot Footsteps

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't find the rapping in de la soul draws focus, esp on the first album where so much action is taking place in the samples, so I have to make a conscious effort to listen to the rapping and I suspect if I do that I'll get a lot more out of it

version

Corpse has ordered himself a pair of De La Soul Dunks from eBay.

nike-sb-dunk-de-la-soul-2005-1.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Were De La Soul popular within the rave scene? The "hippy" thing (even though they distanced themselves from that quite quickly as far as I can tell) plus the wall of sound samples that were a feature of rave music (though crossbred with Belgian hardcore, acid house, etc.).

I suppose it was them and Public Enemy who were using samples in this way at the time - colliding them collaging them together.

Wu Tang / RZA too in that lineage, cutting up and colliding samples

The modern rap that uses samples (alchemist, madlib, et al) doesn't do that collage thing so much, from what I've heard.

version

They've got a bit of a 90s children's TV vibe, like Sesame Street. Something about the tone and colours. The art direction.

woops

is not like other people
once i was about to battle rap de la soul and ive pointed out that soul is not a French word and even if it was it probably wouldn't be feminine, de l'esprit might have been more accurate, fortunately for me it was the daisy age

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't find the rapping in de la soul draws focus, esp on the first album where so much action is taking place in the samples, so I have to make a conscious effort to listen to the rapping and I suspect if I do that I'll get a lot more out of it
Actually the vocals are just very quietly mixed on 3 Foot High...