Dolphin sounds

DLaurent

Just been listening to this CC Classic.

I thought, that's good! It sounds like a dolphin, kind of.

Then I thought about other tunes that have dolphin type sounds. I won't mention the Burial effort, but there's always Aquarius - The Dolphin Tune, but I think a couple of Seba efforts like Sonic Winds are better, and the metallic sounds in Seba - Catch the Moment are kind of dolphineqsue.

Then there's Ecco the Dolphin and its soundtrack.

Any others? What am I missing?

DLaurent

You would think Drexciya would have used the sounds but I can't recall any track with them.

This is pretty good though.

william_kent

raw, uncut

Songs of the Humpback Whale - Solo Whale ( 1970 )
one of the bestselling "animal noise" albums ( there are 42 versions of it according to discogs )

1678304774690.png

I won't mention the Burial effort
Pretty uneventful wasn’t it. He gets that distant cry thing right here though

Oneohtrix point never had his Ecco jams stuff but it’s not literal dolphin sound. It’s dolphin inspired. Dolphin informed. Look at this lovely David rudnick artwork for example

Do you know Luke’s second cousin John c Lilly? Acid head who speaks to dolphins and invented the isolation tank. Great hair. Luke is related to him and you can see the resemblance

DLaurent

Will give them a listen. I like Burial, he's not liked on here from what I can tell, gone the way of Massive Attack.

DLaurent

Burial the best bits

The major key bassline across octaves in Shutta
The sharp hi hat in Broken Home
The arpeggio in Loner

Loads more.

Won't be popular. Too normie.

DLaurent

Or the 'parallel' chord progression in Truant. Thom Yorke influence but sounds like it could be soundtrack to something like Beneath a Steel Sky game.

That little rave sketch around 6 mins in truant is stunning

Everyone here loves him obviously they’re just compelled to do a kind of anti -auteur routine, it’s a Reynolds move

droid

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Hmm, that whole death of rave was a prop for marks hauntology. You could argue there was an introspection and indie sensibility introduced that had the gentrifying effect, that was precedented with IDM and all that too

Simons take was that raves anti capitalist power was a massive illusion or dupe anyway, romanticised by the likes of burial in a way that actually functioned to sell it to the mainstream… and it still remains a capitalist venture overall, which is not to say it’s not progressive or socially liberating in certain ways. Capital being the most revolutionary social force in history as third form will tell you

luka

Lily emplyed a gir to wank off the dolphins cos they got sexually frustrated in captivity. did you know that?

The personal papers of the neurophysiologist John C. Lilly at Stanford University hold a classified paper he wrote in the late 1950s on the behavioural modification and control of ‘human agents’. The paper provides an unnerving prognosis of the future application of Lilly’s research, then being carried out at the National Institute of Mental Health. Lilly claimed that the use of sensory isolation, electrostimulation of the brain, and the recording and mapping of brain activity could be used to gain ‘push-button’ control over motivation and behaviour. This research, wrote Lilly, could eventually lead to ‘master- slave controls directly of one brain over another’. The paper is an explicit example of
Lilly’s preparedness to align his research towards Cold War military aims. It is not, however, the research for which Lilly is best known. During the 1960s and 1970s, Lilly developed cult status as a far-out guru of consciousness exploration, promoting the use of psychedelics and sensory isolation tanks. Lilly argued that, rather than being used as tools of brainwashing, these techniques could be employed by the individual to regain control of their own mind and retain a sense of agency over their thoughts and actions. This article examines the scientific, intellectual, and cultural relationship between the sciences of brainwashing and psychedelic mind alteration. Through an analysis of Lilly’s autobiographical writings, I also show how paranoid ideas about brainwashing and mind control provide an important lens for understanding the trajectory of Lilly’s research.

droid

One of my favourite hardcore whalesongs.

Ambient is overflowing with cetaceans as you'd imagine. This just popped up on YT actually, pretty good. Pay what you like.