Ambient Techno

DLaurent

The less beats the better? Anyone got any tunes to recommend? You will have heard all these before but for me it's one of the best kinds of ambient music, still with a wide eyed 7am feel.

DLaurent

I'll boot up my other computer with big speakers to listen to the above. Very much appreciate it.

I'm also a massive Rod Modell fan. This was the last album I bough, along with the book of photography back in 2017.

Leo

an obvious choice but this entire album is what you're after

this has beats but I remember playing it at dawn on a snowy morning and it felt great

DLaurent

The Global Communication album, particularly the second track I think, was a big hit at my mates house when we were much younger. I think Mark Pritchard is Link though, Amenity is probably the best track ever.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
To break up the wall of Youtube a bit, I find that this is one of those genres where the line between brilliant and rubbish is very fine. Like, you say "I like X" and someone says "oh, I like X too. I also like Y" and you think "urgh, really mate, that shite?" It's hard to pin down why - maybe it's because that sort of "tune in, turn on, bliss out" vibe is so, so close to straight self-indulgence, and some of it has some property that elevates it above that but it's quite hard to pin down exactly what it is.

(Droid is now going to neatly pin down exactly what it is...)

Reactions: Leo

Leo

To break up the wall of Youtube a bit, I find that this is one of those genres where the line between brilliant and rubbish is very fine. Like, you say "I like X" and someone says "oh, I like X too. I also like Y" and you think "urgh, really mate, that shite?" It's hard to pin down why - maybe it's because that sort of "tune in, turn on, bliss out" vibe is so, so close to straight self-indulgence, and some of it has some property that elevates it above that but it's quite hard to pin down exactly what it is.

(Droid is now going to neatly pin down exactly what it is...)

in some cases, my favorites are just the first ones I heard. if 10 records are pretty similar, you'll probably always be less interested in the nine that followed the first one you heard. or there will at least be diminishing returns, anyway.

raljax

Yes...e.g. i'm always surprised and intrigued when say Hardwax label a new release 'ambient techno'. As if it is no longer made or exists and yet it is and does.