coronavirus detritus

shakahislop

a small feature of the urban landscape at the moment is all this stuff still lying around from the pandemic. an interesting counterpoint to a much bigger trend, which is the extent to which people are trying to forget it, refusing to talk about it, even today in the week that marks 3 years since the start of it in nyc, it is totally absent from discussion

this is in Nolita

1678814521060.jpeg

version

Still see the odd crumpled mask stuck to the pavement but, other than the coverage of the WhatsApp leaks, the whole thing seems to have faded from view.

I don't get the feeling people are trying to forget or refusing to talk about it though. I think they've just moved on.

Leo

I get the sense people in the UK moved on well before the US did (in NY, anyway), so we're probably at the stage you were at 12-18 months ago.

woops

is not like other people
i still see plenty of people masked up. not a majority obviously but I'll see at least one a day

shakahislop

premptively, and recognising that i have no authority whatsoever here, and appreciating that droid this isn't what you're doing in the post above, though i can see where it might go, @mixed_biscuits @HMGovt would be class if you don't get into the usual arguments in this thread and do it in one of the other covid threads instead. i know i sound like a dick but there is a familiar pattern with anything related to covid

woops

is not like other people
in a park near me they painted "stay 6ft apart" on the ground and someone came and added "you cunt", in paint. the original message has worn away or been cleaned but the addition remains

mWttrs2

I still notice antiseptics in stores, people in masks, etc. It's a little unclear to me, but ok, everyone has their own opinion about it. I started taking vitamins from the Pharmacy so as not to get sick with the coronavirus, but now for me it is to improve immunity and make it stronger. My family got rid of all disposable masks a long time ago and no one plans to buy them later

shakahislop

wearing an old pair of formal work trousers today, for the first time in a long time (every now and then i have to go into the office to post on dissensus rather than doing it at home). what should i find stuffed into the back pocket? a disposible mask. these things keep turning up in my stuff. they're going to have a real symbolic resonance in years to come i think.

wild greens

Sorry I've just googled this and apparently disposable masks don't disintegrate in the wash?

Shouldn't have implied you were a scruffy get without better knowledge of situation

I take this to now mean they're not degradable and there will be millions in landfill for years? Great