The good James Brown songs

william_kent

In the future we could do an official cataloging of gucci mane or james brown

going to get his best performance out of the way first

James Brown - strangest interview ( aka high as a kite )

I can't find the Limmy breakdown of this video but, as far as I can recall he was almost amusing when he comments on the teeth grinding eyes closed moment at 1:18 where the rush is threatening to overwhelm

it's easy to laugh at this video, and I have to admit that I have, but he's fucking high as a kite on angel dust ( PCP / "sherm" ) just after beating his wife with a lead pipe, which is behaviour that I am sure none of us can condone, and somehow he manages to deflect those accusations by semi singing the titles of his biggest hits and then proceeds to promote his up coming tour of Brazil AND his gospel magazine, "the second coming", next issue featuring "The Pope" ( James Brown: "advisor" ) ... is he "Mr Show Business", a true professional? or an absolute psycho hypocrite? ( my money is on a combination of all three,, )

The other day I was explaining the hip-hop concept of "weed carriers" aka "hype men" to a work colleague and he recounted a tale i hadn't heard before about James Brown making his wife carry his drugs through customs and when they stopped her she pleaded "diplomatic immunity" and they asked "on what grounds?" and she replied "my husband is the Ambassador of Funk!" ( this must have been before he beat her with a lead pipe, etc., )

PCP, helluva drug, allegedly ( not one I've sampled as far as I know, I've seen that youtube video of the guy whose intestines are hanging out and they get caught on a lamppost and some bystander has to tell him "eh, dude, your guts are are hanging out", sort of puts me off ever trying it tbh )

anyway, i'll kick this off with one of my favourites

James Brown - Super Bad( 1970 )

this was recorded just after James had sacked all of his regular band in a fit of pique and the proto-funkadelic briefly stepped in, Bootsy Collins is on shedloads of acid and bass, he locks down a groove, Brown chats shit on the one, Talib supplies the nation of Islam conga beat, the drummer sure isn't Clyde Stubblefield but he can knock out a beat, and then at about 2:30 sax player Robert "Chopper" McCollough briefly starts squawking away ilke his hero John Coltrane,but then probably a stern nod from the Godfather warned him off because he shuts up, but then about 4 mins in James exclaims "Give me some 'Trane" and we're into my dream fire /spiritual / free jazz funk fusion for a few precious moments which are reapeated around the 8 minute mark when Brown grunts "Trane" and the cosmic squawk recommences

DannyL

Wild Horses
Even 25 years later, I still feel I never need to hear Lynn Collins Think every again, heard it so much.

Christ imagine hearing this for the first time

william_kent

i'm fond of the studio version, because... sometimes people give me big bags of drugs and..

James Brown - The Payback

I was sat on my couch, a carrier bag full of donated Salvia next to me, I loaded a pipe and manoeuvred my lighter to the mound of green, it ignited and I inhaled and then the female backing vocals registered, just as they go "woo!"about 23 seconds in my soul rose about four feet above my head and I laughed so hard that the burning herbs blew out of the pipe and scattered all over me and, talk about "harshing my vibe" ..

william_kent

James Brown - Funky Drummer

got to get this one in before anyone else... maybe the most sampled break at approx 5:21 ( after Amen and Apache obviously ) EVER., err.. EVER... even George Michael sampled this one

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
going to get his best performance out of the way first

James Brown - strangest interview ( aka high as a kite )

I can't find the Limmy breakdown of this video but, as far as I can recall he was almost amusing when he comments on the teeth grinding eyes closed moment at 1:18 where the rush is threatening to overwhelm

it's easy to laugh at this video, and I have to admit that I have, but he's fucking high as a kite on angel dust ( PCP / "sherm" ) just after beating his wife with a lead pipe, which is behaviour that I am sure none of us can condone, and somehow he manages to deflect those accusations by semi singing the titles of his biggest hits and then proceeds to promote his up coming tour of Brazil AND his gospel magazine, "the second coming", next issue featuring "The Pope" ( James Brown: "advisor" ) ... is he "Mr Show Business", a true professional? or an absolute psycho hypocrite? ( my money is on a combination of all three,, )

The other day I was explaining the hip-hop concept of "weed carriers" aka "hype men" to a work colleague and he recounted a tale i hadn't heard before about James Brown making his wife carry his drugs through customs and when they stopped her she pleaded "diplomatic immunity" and they asked "on what grounds?" and she replied "my husband is the Ambassador of Funk!" ( this must have been before he beat her with a lead pipe, etc., )

PCP, helluva drug, allegedly ( not one I've sampled as far as I know, I've seen that youtube video of the guy whose intestines are hanging out and they get caught on a lamppost and some bystander has to tell him "eh, dude, your guts are are hanging out", sort of puts me off ever trying it tbh )

anyway, i'll kick this off with one of my favourites

James Brown - Super Bad( 1970 )

this was recorded just after James had sacked all of his regular band in a fit of pique and the proto-funkadelic briefly stepped in, Bootsy Collins is on shedloads of acid and bass, he locks down a groove, Brown chats shit on the one, Talib supplies the nation of Islam conga beat, the drummer sure isn't Clyde Stubblefield but he can knock out a beat, and then at about 2:30 sax player Robert "Chopper" McCollough briefly starts squawking away ilke his hero John Coltrane,but then probably a stern nod from the Godfather warned him off because he shuts up, but then about 4 mins in James exclaims "Give me some 'Trane" and we're into my dream fire /spiritual / free jazz funk fusion for a few precious moments which are reapeated around the 8 minute mark when Brown grunts "Trane" and the cosmic squawk recommences

can’t let such a rush go by unacknowledged

The good James Brown songs2-min.png

status = rushing hard

william_kent

"ladies and gentlemen there are seven acknowledged wonders of the world - you are about to witness the eighth!"

James Brown / The J.Bs / Fred Wesley - Doing it to Death

"we're gonna take you higher!"

"Fred! Fred!"

locked bass groove, provides a solid foundation for James, Fred, Bobby, Maceo, and the rest of the crew to do their "thang"

"we're gonna have a funky good time!"

william_kent

this is my candidate for a James Brown "deep cut"

James Brown - Sho Is Funky Down Here

this is like an outtake from some Hendrix Band of Gypsies bootleg or Deep Purple MK 1, acid drenched UK invasion blues, not what you'd expect from the "Godfather of Funk" at all ( or soul or whatever title he held )

versatile....

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

after my folks had retired and my dad was bowing out of this life, we ended up in A&E one night after a visit to Belfast went tits up, grim but he always appreciated grim stories

complications with his catheter created an event for about 4 hours, we‘d tried to get the plumbing to a point of him not being in agony including the time spent in an ambulance as a blue lighter, medics had arrived who couldn’t legally administer the oxy on board the wagon due to meds competencies

flying through the city, get into a bay drop and triage, get him to majors and a wee lass of jr dr looked at the engineering, moved the insert 45 degrees and the pain stopped immediately

he’d had loads of morphine, gas, was off his tits in the cubicle at this point and when they pulled the curtain open after re-catheterising him, he saluted us and drawled “PAPAA’S GOT A BRRRRAND NEWW BAAAAAAG!”

william_kent

after my folks had retired and my dad was bowing out of this life, we ended up in A&E one night after a visit to Belfast went tits up, grim but he always appreciated grim stories

complications with his catheter created an event for about 4 hours, we‘d tried to get the plumbing to a point of him not being in agony including the time spent in an ambulance as a blue lighter, medics had arrived who couldn’t legally administer the oxy on board the wagon due to meds competencies

flying through the city, get into a bay drop and triage, get him to majors and a wee lass of jr dr looked at the engineering, moved the insert 45 degrees and the pain stopped immediately

he’d had loads of morphine, gas, was off his tits in the cubicle at this point and when they pulled the curtain open after re-catheterising him, he saluted us and drawled “PAPAA’S GOT A BRRRRAND NEWW BAAAAAAG!”

i was on the verge of crying as I read that post but then the punchline hits hard

didn't want to do the hilarious "laugh" emoji, because.. well, you know

william_kent

maybe a good time to point to , and "join the dots", between psychedelics, shrooms, LSD, funk, free festivals, acid house, raves, free parties, and the number one speaker set up in modern clubs:

Steve Hillage ( ex-Gong ) : "Already in the ’70s we were getting increasingly interested in funk, electronics and German psychedelia like Neu, Can and of course Kraftwerk. Our friend and sound system designer Tony Andrews (of Funktion One and Turbosound fame) was mad about funk and we used to have great parties with him dancing to Parliament & Bootsy’s Rubber Band etc. played loud on his PA rig while we were out of our heads on mushrooms. In a way these were like prototype raves, and it was no accident that Tony and our former sound engineer John Newsham got involved in doing the sound at acid house events in 1988!"

James Brown 'nuum