spiral tribe - the good bits

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
am sure your ding dong, jaunty flailing boy finney likes this but for all intents its diabolical, cod disco. No wonder Luka wants to cancel disco!

Shapeshifters - Lola's stool.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Talking at cross purposes, I was thinking this gear played at sixty percent... but that was never said, fair enough

I've been trying to get into playing more slow tempo. As much as I like Weatherall, some of his sets towards the end of his life could get a bit too distorted 80s arpy for my djing purposes. Which is fine to listen to, I have no problem with listening to that, but it seems that a lot of people who make the so called chug sound make it in that sort of euro disco vibe. Whereas I prefer things to be more grittier, funkier, less of the 80s sci-fi city futurism.

I understand why people make it that way though, because the line between krautrock, post-punk and balearic is that thin. But I'm also thinking about dub reggae and electro etc. and I don't mix like a balearic dj.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
If you look at the amapiano from a couple of years ago you can find a lot at 110 that you can pitch down & the log drum does allow a lot of good chop techniques etc

I.e
https://on.soundcloud.com/5eNvN

Maybe a bit of afro, maybe some of the kaytranada style 110 4x4 r&b stuff

Need to look for black sounds at 100-110, the straight european stuff suffers. Needs swing

to be fair the stuff I was playing was mostly slowed down chicago and detroit gear, so not straight European at all.

but sure there's some great amapiano which is really fucked which can fit into the sort of mixes I'm doing. where the basic production becomes the charm.

E.G:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
If you look at the amapiano from a couple of years ago you can find a lot at 110 that you can pitch down & the log drum does allow a lot of good chop techniques etc

I.e
https://on.soundcloud.com/5eNvN

Maybe a bit of afro, maybe some of the kaytranada style 110 4x4 r&b stuff

Need to look for black sounds at 100-110, the straight european stuff suffers. Needs swing

Not sure if this is too straight/robotic for you, but give it a whirl if you want.

View attachment 14665

Mixed this on the week of the earthquake so was not in the most conducive mindstate but hey it went out on the radio so I might as well stick it up here, forgive any dodgy transitions.

Here is roughly what was played

EDIT: oh I thought that would embed the tl. click on the post to go to it.

Mr. Naga Pickle

I dig that Ice Age one, you could say the beat is kinda plodding but all the stuff around it more than makes up for that.
yeah, ketno is more about spooky drug noises than it is interesting drums or bass.

feel kind of remiss in not mentioning Duister, a dutch label who created what i reckon might be
some of the genre's dankest bonk, despite not starting up until 2001, a few years after the
Golden Age of Onket had come to a close:

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
I've been trying to get into playing more slow tempo. As much as I like Weatherall, some of his sets towards the end of his life could get a bit too distorted 80s arpy for my djing purposes. Which is fine to listen to, I have no problem with listening to that, but it seems that a lot of people who make the so called chug sound make it in that sort of euro disco vibe. Whereas I prefer things to be more grittier, funkier, less of the 80s sci-fi city futurism.

I understand why people make it that way though, because the line between krautrock, post-punk and balearic is that thin. But I'm also thinking about dub reggae and electro etc. and I don't mix like a balearic dj.

From about the 28 minute mark it kicks, really intriguing initial selection where I didn’t know where it was going, before bringing a hefty kick drum in to anchor your ears

Steady, chuggy (f u browser that’s a word) and considered, never easy maintaining momentum at such a tempo, don’t think a mix like yours can work if it doesn’t thump (if this makes any sense)

IdleRich

IdleRich
yeah, ketno is more about spooky drug noises than it is interesting drums or bass.
I hear you mate... and my plan was gonna be to order a copy and then say "and so will the ravers in Lisbon" - but turns out the twelve is thirty five quid so they won't after all, or at least not via me.

But I did order that Diesel M one, I really hope it turns up. Genuinely interested to see what happens if I pitch it down and play it next time we're I'm Ferro Bar or something. If anyone actually cares to see maybe I'll remember to film it too...

I was looking for a copy of that Fuzz Face one too but I can only find it on the album - @thirdform do you know if that came out as a single by any chance?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Def need to pitch this one down but you will get something seriously grungey
Thing is, I was listening to these out of curiosity and cos they were cool whatever. But now I started thinking "I wonder what will happen if I play this to Portuguese hipsters?" - and as a kinda experiment I will maybe try a couple out. But I'm thinking if I'm gonna do that I would want something where I'm changing the speed, I guess just so it feels like I'm doing something.

I do just like the idea of taking something that was made to be played in one type of place to a certain kind of people - and then putting it in front of a totally different group of people, quite possibly at wildly different speed, and seeing what happens.

I mean if you take something that's at 170bpm and you slow it to 130 and play it next to a load of stuff at that speed I wonder what people think... how many think "it's the right speed, I will keep repeating and mixing up my two dance moves at the regulation tempo while this tune is playing" and how many think "there's something different about this one".

I guess the thing is it's not a good question when we're playing cos all the other tracks are from all over the place anyhow. The next one might be at 130bpm but maybe it's been sped up from 95.

I'm really rambling now - apologies - but I suppose I'm really asking about how (or if) a crowd thinks when it's dancing, and if it does think does it categorize songs, and if it does categorize songs, does it do it by tempo or what?

I actually think that there are probably some good questions to ask about dancing and thinking etc but those weren't them... gimme a minute though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well been a pleasant morning of drinking beer and blasting a scuzzy technoid racket at various random speeds. In the end there were about six or seven tracks I was really feeling and which I considered buying, but most of them were far from cheap, which meant that when you add on another fifteen quid or so for postage you quickly find yourself in the "Fucking hell that's a lot of money for a bit of plastic in vg condition with four songs on it!" territory.

But luckily one of the very nicest had some cheap copies floating around and as a result I plumped for Mirror Obsession.

Hopefully if that and the Diesel M one turn up then that's two ugly bangers I can chuck weightily into the fray at minus eight or so and see if they pummel the crowd into submission and drag them along with me... or just sink like stones in a sea of hipsters. Genuinely interested to find out... though sorry for taking over the thread without being able to put anything back into it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I know it's incredibly primitive to measure the worth of an artwork by how much of it there is... and there are times when I get bored of songs half-way through, but at the same time, paying hundreds of pounds for something as short as this... yeah, I hear you.

In the same way, I don't get the moaning about long films. If I go to the cinema and stick my tenner or whatever down and it turns out to be three hours long then that's fine by me. With these long form tv series that we are all extremely familiar with, we expect many expanded characters and complex plots as a matter of course. As a matter of fact, now that TV shows have really gone into much deeper characterisation etc, I sometimes feel on coming out of a film that there were not enough people involved or things were rushed and so if making films longer can help improve that then they should go for it.

If every minute is good and necessary than I'm happy to get three hours of entertainment rather than two, in the same way as when you paid a nugget or whatever to go on the dodgems when the Unfair came to town, I'd rather have three minutes for my money than two.

I suppose I'm mixing two points cos they both work in the same direction

1. If there is a film in which I love every minute, then please give me lots of minutes
2. If I come out of a film and it's ninety minutes long, say, and at the end I think "That character could have been more developed" or "that plot was rushed" I will certainly think to myself, why the fuck didn't they just add in those necessary things and it made the film forty minutes longer so what?

I don't get people saying they can't concentrate that long or they get a number bum*. And if it is really long then have an interval.

I also think that my posts often have so many points in them that I really do need to make them very very long, what I'm doing right now is definitely not in any sense what some might mistakenly label as waffling or a lack of concision, it's a deliberate choice to maximize the amount of wisdom I generously choose to impart, and if I repeat myself or say the same thing twice in different ways to add emphasis and to make the point more emphatically then it should not be confused for any sort of drug addled wittering that just goes on and on and, in fact, on, rather it is in fact something quite other than what it might appear to those with short attention spans, in fact this particular bit is merely a test to see if anyone can demonstrate the required concentration to keep battling onwards through the challenging word salad that I have created like a sort of chef using words as fruit. I guess 'the' would maybe be a tomato if it was a fruit and 'and' might be a red pepper cos I love red peppers, but come to think of it what would be onion and garlic, two of the main ingredients of almost every dish I create? I don't really know to be honest, but I'm realising now that filibustering is a genuine skill, do they just do it off the cuff, and is there any rule like if they pause for more than say ten seconds - or is that too harsh - should it be more like twenty seconds? - they have to stop? And what's to stop someone just reading from a book or something or is there a rule that they have to stay on topic, it's kind of like that game show they have on radio four where it beeps if they say certain words, which when you think about it is kinda just like a grown up version of that thing with Timmy Mallet when he said mustn't pause, mustn't hesitate now look at each other and say blah, do you remember that, I'm not sure the radio four one is actually better. Mornington Crescent is quite good though although I must say it took me a long time to understand some of the more complex rules of that game. I was never sure if Mornington Crescent was a real place or not until I moved to London but it is. Who is that artist actually and he painted like a hundred no perhaps a thousand views of Mornington Crescent, and they were all almost the same, it was so weird, one time we paid like fifteen quid to see his exhibition at the Royal Academy and to all intents and purposes it was room after room with every wall covered with the same painting like ten views here, Mornington Crescent at 10am and then it was ten views of Mornington Crescent at maybe 10.05am, it was a pretty boring exhibition to be honest.
The main point really though when you think about it is that mixed biscuits is really such a fucking wanker I don't even find it funny any more, I wonder if he finds himself funny or just a sad tragic figure talking utter bollocks because it is the persona he has created for himself and he does not know how to escape from it, part of me would almost feel sorry for him I guess although there is a certain pleasure to be gleaned in the way that his crime has actually become his punishment.
So yeah, there you have it, an argument which I'm sure you will all agree is completely watertight in favour of the longer work over the short. At least where necessary, though of course it does become less necessary when the import diminishes, which is a tautology I guess, or is it a truism? And what is the difference between a tautology and a truism? And how can you have an equinox, surely equine means horse doesn't it, is an equinox therefore a word which contains a kind of self-contradictory phrase, and does that make it a paradox or is it simply sophistry?
Where was I? Ah, just need to go for a wee and then I can get into the main body of this post. Apologies for breaking off so abruptly.... to be continued... very shortly... but at length if you see what I mean... and surely I mean what I see... anyway, I should reiterate that I will continue... (cont)

*Of course that should have said numb bum, but I like the phrase number bum so I have left it as is. I did not want to spoil the tautness of my writing above

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Well been a pleasant morning of drinking beer and blasting a scuzzy technoid racket at various random speeds. In the end there were about six or seven tracks I was really feeling and which I considered buying, but most of them were far from cheap, which meant that when you add on another fifteen quid or so for postage you quickly find yourself in the "Fucking hell that's a lot of money for a bit of plastic in vg condition with four songs on it!" territory.

But luckily one of the very nicest had some cheap copies floating around and as a result I plumped for Mirror Obsession.

Hopefully if that and the Diesel M one turn up then that's two ugly bangers I can chuck weightily into the fray at minus eight or so and see if they pummel the crowd into submission and drag them along with me... or just sink like stones in a sea of hipsters. Genuinely interested to find out... though sorry for taking over the thread without being able to put anything back into it.

the dj esp one might be on bandcamp idk.

also no apology needed, will be funny to see the hipster reaction.
also can do you a flac of walker dj.ungle fever 001.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I hear you mate... and my plan was gonna be to order a copy and then say "and so will the ravers in Lisbon" - but turns out the twelve is thirty five quid so they won't after all, or at least not via me.

But I did order that Diesel M one, I really hope it turns up. Genuinely interested to see what happens if I pitch it down and play it next time we're I'm Ferro Bar or something. If anyone actually cares to see maybe I'll remember to film it too...
Thinking about this, if it's on 33, even if I pitch it to the minimum it will still be crazy fast, if it's 45 then I could put it to 33 would be perfect.

I've seen DJ Assault when it can't be pitched to the speed he wants, just wind it with his hand and keep it with a constant tempo, but, believe it or not I don't think I can pull that off. I might be able to drag it with my thumb or whatever, how hard would that be to keep the same speed for five min do you think? Maybe if I practise just doing that...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thinking about this, if it's on 33, even if I pitch it to the minimum it will still be crazy fast, if it's 45 then I could put it to 33 would be perfect.

I've seen DJ Assault when it can't be pitched to the speed he wants, just wind it with his hand and keep it with a constant tempo, but, believe it or not I don't think I can pull that off. I might be able to drag it with my thumb or whatever, how hard would that be to keep the same speed for five min do you think? Maybe if I practise just doing that...
Or I could bring my own turntable with ultrapitch to wherever I wanna play it, seems a lot of effort for one tune though... especially if it's in Porto.

wild greens

Or I could bring my own turntable with ultrapitch to wherever I wanna play it, seems a lot of effort for one tune though... especially if it's in Porto.

Just start using CDJs man

Between +16 and "wide" tempo function you can make music whatever speed you want