sus

Mr Tea thinks that you two are on the same side of this, which is unfortunate, but Mr Tea is routinely confused so this is par for the course

sus

Anyway, when you come into other people's threads being imperiously rude and accusing them of racism, don't be surprised when I'm not interested in showing you courtesy in turn

sus

But keep wildin' off and putting words in my mouth like this is some out-of-the-blue unprovoked assault where I'm the one who's obsessed with race.

sus

I'm leaving and apologizing because I find the gridlock on this board exhausting, like driving into a wall every day, but I contribute to that unproductiveness as much as anybody.

sus

In fact I apologize for all of it. I never gave this board enough time and patience to understand its members instead of simply clash with them. I'm not sure if I'll ever have enough time and space. I wish I'd come across it when I was younger, and did have the time, but I guess I wasn't patient enough then either.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm leaving and apologizing because I find the gridlock on this board exhausting, like driving into a wall every day, but I contribute to that unproductiveness as much as anybody.
I don't know if that is necessary on either count tbh. The essential difference seems to be that I object to you deracinating music, and you want to insist it can be enjoyed or appreciated without these nuances or that's how I understand it anyway.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Mr Tea thinks that you two are on the same side of this, which is unfortunate, but Mr Tea is routinely confused so this is par for the course
Gus doing his best here to process Dissensus in terms of his main social/cultural reference point, viz. US high school cliques of jocks, nerds, goths etc.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
In fact I apologize for all of it. I never gave this board enough time and patience to understand its members instead of simply clash with them. I'm not sure if I'll ever have enough time and space. I wish I'd come across it when I was younger, and did have the time, but I guess I wasn't patient enough then either.

this is the cringiest fucking thing i have read from you.

Sort it out.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't know if that is necessary on either count tbh. The essential difference seems to be that I object to you deracinating music, and you want to insist it can be enjoyed or appreciated without these nuances or that's how I understand it anyway.

Danny no it's not that.

He thinks we're closed minded because we give his kind of music short shrift. Which is fair enough, but he does the same with our music.

Which makes his apologies all that more pathetic and insincere.

Padraig likes a lot of guitar music most of us couldn't give a crap about but he doesn't condescend to us like our taste is somehow inferior, because you know, he's actually open minded, musically.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Danny no it's not that.

He thinks we're closed minded because we give his kind of music short shrift. Which is fair enough, but he does the same with our music.

Which makes his apologies all that more pathetic and insincere.

Padraig likes a lot of guitar music most of us couldn't give a crap about but he doesn't condescend to us like our taste is somehow inferior, because you know, he's actually open minded, musically.
I'm not sure. I'm not convinced there's this huge strong musical identity there, I might be wrong though.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i actually told him he might want to go on ilx because they love all that jangling music. and not everyone on there is white either. But its a class thing, which Gus can't seem to rap his head around. For him, working class tastes in music might as well not exist. Which as a strictly macroempirical observation is true enough, but not if you take a more microscopic view.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm not building up to anything, and I definitely don't think there's anything a "white dude" can do that a "black dude" can't, other than get a nasty sunburn. I'm just not hot on racial essentialism, even when it's purportedly celebratory.

I don't want to particularly stick up for a statement which, as I said, I don't even recall making, but I don't think that there is anything essentialist in that statement, it's simply relying on the fact that one way of dividing music is into that made by black people and that made by white people (leaving aside music made by both or neither), and, if one does that you will get two sets of music. If we accept that you can say that some music is better than others, which is something that we do all the time, then it's perfectly possible to say that one of those sets is better than the other ie it contains more music I like.

I'm surprised to hear that I said that, but I'm sure that if Dan said so then I did. But right now I dunno if I agree with it to be honest.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm not sure. I'm not convinced there's this huge strong musical identity there, I might be wrong though.

No I mean you're right. A lot of it is also rooted in this silly discourse of trying to trigger the libs. Except its a wholly fictitious invension.

He'd get banned on ilx even if his taste is much closer to theirs.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't want to particularly stick up for a statement which, as I said, I don't even recall making, but I don't that there is anything essentialist in that statement, it's simply relying on the fact that one way of dividing music is into that made by black people and that made by white people (leaving aside music made by both or neither), and, if one does that you will get two sets of music. If we accept that you can say that some music is better than others, which is something that we do all the time, so it's perfectly possible to say that one of those sets is better than the other ie it contains more music I like.

I'm surprised to hear that I said that, but I'm sure that if Dan said so then I did. But right now I dunno if I agree with it to be honest.

the important thing is that white people have been involved in making, participating in and distributing black music from day dot.

Whilst yes, there are black and asian people in musics coded as white, they are always a minority, shunted aside.

Gus seems to confuse the black race with black culture. I told him this, but because he is on this crusade to play alt left shitposter, he just studiously ignores it. Which is why I take umbrage with his apology. We all see ya!

DannyL

Wild Horses
the important thing is that white people have been involved in making, participating in and distributing black music from day dot.
yeah, this is what I was on about above mentioning The Stones. The above sentence is a kind of extension of Rich's now-forgotten statement. Or rather it puts it in a cultural context.

Related is the fact that the music in this thread was hard to hear when it first came out - I think that's probably totally invisible to someone Gus's age, but because it was popular black music there wasn't any official channels to hear it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It is interesting though because in the US, characters like Danny are the butt of endless jokes, cf Atlanta S1E9's Craig. Whereas in the UK apparently these sorts of regressive tendencies pass as progressive? Different discourses I guess.
Oh he's the butt of endless jokes here too, but seemingly for different reasons.

DannyL

Wild Horses
This is what I meant by saying you can't have deracinated music. Well you can, but it's just fucking boring, particularly if you're a nerd given to analysing the culture around the musics you like.
Thinking of the Shaka thread, what does it mean to soak in that music, even if it's just going to a dance. It's not an insignificant act, along racial lines.