DannyL

Wild Horses
i remember sitting with a mate outside a pub in forest gate and two asian lads drive past blasting out dancehall and he turned to me and said black music runs east london and it was true. nothing else existed. you wouldnt even know there was any alternative
This is 100% true. I didn't start listening to anything else until I started reading NME which I only did for the hip hop coverage.

luka

white music has grown on me. 80s rock that sounded ludicrous then sounds charming now for instance.

DannyL

Wild Horses
white music has grown on me. 80s rock that sounded ludicrous then sounds charming now for instance.
Yeah me as well. But it's interesting looking back, what's stayed with me. I think I was lucky to get that great grounding in great soul, rap, reggae and house.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I like nerdy, cool, hip white music. But bog standard white music is most of the time a dirge.

By white music i obvs mean anglo-american rock, not Macedonian brass band or whatever, which is the funkiest music Europe ever produced.

Was listening to Prefab Sprout a few hours ago and yes, it's good, but there's always a hollow void.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I like nerdy, cool, hip white music. But bog standard white music is most of the time a dirge.

By white music i obvs mean anglo-american rock, not Macedonian brass band or whatever, which is the funkiest music Europe ever produced.

Was listening to Prefab Sprout a few hours ago and yes, it's good, but there's always a hollow void.
It's funny, I remember actively hating white music so much at the time, being really furious if like I saw Dire Straits on the telly. Funny how time elides these attitudes. I think at the time it was true, there was something to be angry about, in terms of representation, you had to tune into illegal stations under threat of raids to hear this stuff, so the landscape was different.

luka

on the other hand there were a million illegal stations and they werent any harder to find than radio one was. so in terms of what was out there on the radio band, in the shop window, it still dominated.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's funny, I remember actively hating white music so much at the time, being really furious if like I saw Dire Straits on the telly. Funny how time elides these attitudes. I think at the time it was true, there was something to be angry about, in terms of representation, you had to tune into illegal stations under threat of raids to hear this stuff, so the landscape was different.

i also think with the advent of the indie aesthetic white pop kind of retreated into an aloofness which was the antithesis of the surrealism you'd get in hip hop, house, jungle etc, or even the biblical grandness of reggae, or the drama of soul.

DannyL

Wild Horses
on the other hand there were a million illegal stations and they werent any harder to find than radio one was. so in terms of what was out there on the radio band, in the shop window, it still dominated.
Yeah true. The counter-culture I guess. Took the legal world years to catch up.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
lit crit music. in most music the lyrics are not important but the way they are delivered. But in rock this is strangely not the case. in fact when I read so many reviews of indie pop albums on rym its never the music, always the lyrics.

luka

you had the dance music ones, the acid house ones, the hardcore ones, teh jungle and garage ones. then you had the 'community' stations that played housewife reggae, revival, dancehall, huge amounts of rare groove, specially on a sunday. great grounding as you say. lots of old stuff. give you a sense of history and continuity. not a ton of roots and no dub whatsoever, at any time.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i like dub but i always thought that was interesting, given how dub is lionised in other circles and set above all other reggae music.

I was gonna fight this guy the other year who told me he loves dub but can't stand vocal reggae.

Of course he was a continental lol.