Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's more my trajectory? Rap before songs etc though the growth of "soulies' was kinda contemporaneous though it was more the music of mates' older brothers, that kinda thing, guys who were also borderline football hoolies. I don't think the UK soul scene as represented by Caister Weekenders and so on was well established in the early 80s. Hip hop by contrast was kids music.
All the 80s RNB I heard via hip hop in the late 90s (puffy et al)

Nobody (at least nobody now) discovers music in a neat chronological order do they, especially now the past is all in the present—to wankily bring in 'ulysses', it's like joyce's point about the dead being as alive as the living in some respects, a big conversation between the present and departed...

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah, I was thinking of your posts about hearing stuff on the radio without having been to clubs

I suppose in this global culture we're all outsiders viz a viz some scene or other
I read something once that said the nature of mediation and subcultures means you always feel behind, like youî just missed out. I remember reading about Shoom and thinking that.

To be present for something and aware its going be huge, important, might be very unusual I think.

luka

i had that with jungle, but helped by the fact i was simultaneously missing out. and i knew grime was epochal, but again,
i could hardly say i was involved. even hip-hop, as a young child, you you tell it was a rapid and exciting influx of new energy.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think I knew raving was special, just the scale of the people involved, you could tell it was changing the culture. I think I only went to one illegal M25 rave, the Freedom to Party one but that was exciting. I remember being at South Mimms services with thousands of people and you could see when someone got the tip off - this guy started running back to his car and a kind of mass panic broke out. Everyone piling back into the cars so they wouldn't get left behind.

But I already had that sense of missing out on all the early stuff - Biology, Sunrise etc.

luka

did someone turn this into a youtube playlist already?
craner did a spotify one then thirdform called him a baked bean cum bacon eating infidel and said he should of done it on you tube then corpsey did a you tube one.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
craner did a spotify one then thirdform called him a baked bean cum bacon eating infidel and said he should of done it on you tube then corpsey did a you tube one.
that's great corpsey is the best🔥, fucking hate those commercials on spotify, so what's corpseys youtube?