Localism

sufi

lala
Matar said: “There is a huge movement for saving the planet but it’s all talk. People need to pick a spot and clean it.

“None of the street cleaners the council employs are from the area and you need to employ people who live in the area. We can’t outsource.

“All it is, is people doing their job and doing it with their heart. What I am trying to do is get everyone to pick a spot and keep it clean.”

I dunno, because often i prefer to be lazy/cynical and take the position of "individuals cannot impact vast systemic issues, so why bother", but there are lots of good things about being an activist especially in the neighbourhood

luka

my mum was a local do gooder. she didnt think people should have outdoor toilets. she sorted it out. who knows if it did anyone any good. my dad used to say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

IdleRich

IdleRich
In Russia they all go out and pick litter on Lenin day. They don't have any equivalent in Portugal so Russia is a lot cleaner.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
my mum was a local do gooder. she didnt think people should have outdoor toilets. she sorted it out. who knows if it did anyone any good. my dad used to say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Seems a bit mean, going around demolishing poor people's outdoor toilets so they have no toilets at all.

wild greens

You do see it out in the sticks near me- there are a couple of retired women out in their hi-viz at 6 in the morning picking up all the shit off the road near the a2 slip roads. Then two days later there's loads of detritus again, dirty bastards

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

This is the big local problem for me to be honest, the roads are completely fucked everywhere. I'd love to start up a rogue potholing gang, lord knows the councils aren't arsed
Some pretty shocking ones around my ends, too.

It's good that people pick up litter, and I often do it myself if I'm out for a walk anyway, but I'd rather we had a culture where people we less inclined to drop it in the first place.

The things that really fucks me off is when you see people carefully place an empty coke can or whatever on the ground, right way up, as if it's only littering if you carelessly toss it over your shoulder as you walk by.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Helps if people know their neighbours but not many nations are as neighbour avoidant/oblivious as the British

“Lived here 50 years, never spoken once to next door. Tbh they prefer it this way too”

”She‘d been dead and undiscovered in her flat for over 4 years. Neighbours were unavailable for comment”

Buying locally from farm co-ops helps. Few within 20-30mins drive. Better value vegetables, not this bruised mush supermarkets are trying to palm off. Less preservatives in meat, lean proteins

Co-ops are increasingly far more organised, web portholes are easier to navigate, plus if you get to know growers they’ll keep items back for you, wee bit of loyalty for your troubles. Fuck paying chain brands for nutritionally poor alternatives

version

Helps if people know their neighbours but not many nations are as neighbour avoidant/oblivious as the British

The American approach seems to be to shoot anyone who even gets near your property. There's been a spate of shootings involving people pulling into the wrong driveway or knocking a ball into the neighbour's garden.