Listening to dance music

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Was listening to this on the headphones today - great track, but I was catching myself imagining how it sounded on a big sound system. Made be think - iss this how we listen alway to dance music, with some sort of imagined projection of the big sounds on proper speakers or does it work in its own right on any system big or small? Is this why dance music might never work for someone who wasn’t at some point a raver.

luka

ive never been a raver but then i dont think i like dance music either as a rule. tune you posted is pleasant enough wallpaper though.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Certainly the less clubs my friends and I have attended over the years the less and less interested we've all become in dance music.

I also think you're right about imaginative projection: I went to a massive club event a few years ago, got absolutely mangled on pills and spent the day after excited cos I thought clubbing was back in my life (then had a massive comedown). But I think in the aftermath of that night I could listen to techno at home and imagine a crowd of thousands of people dancing to it, definitely did change my receptivity to it.

Leo

It's difficult to fully appreciate club music at home, I get my imaginary club experiences walking around using headphones. And it's not just bangers, even weird minimal microhouse sounds better when really loud.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
It’s been a very long time since I went to a club, so the imagination is doing plenty of heavy lifting. I still dance though, mainly on my own like a berk

Reactions: Leo

mvuent

Void Dweller
I’ve never been a raver and listen to dance music a lot. I guess anyone who’s experienced it on a real sound system would say this is delusional… but I really feel like I understand it even without that context. Admittedly though in that kind of setting the dance music I liked most would probably be different.

DannyL

Wild Horses
That sounds like it's made for a club system with that weird wobbly bassline bit. I think that'd sound amazing loud. I rarely go to clubs anymore. I'd put it down to getting older but they do seem to have lost their cultural importance somewhat?

boxedjoy

I liked dance music when I was a child and a teenager before I went clubbing, and while I do think context can change how you think about a piece of music, I don't think the intended functionality of any art can be the only way it produces value and meaning. It's not like the only way to enjoy rock music is to see it live in a truly authentic studio-free way either.