Otis reading - these arms of mine

mvuent

Void Dweller
it's an ok use of technology, but when it become the dominant method, you lose the natural soul of the unadulterated great voice and human vocal stylings.
this also applies to every musical instrument ever invented except for maybe the drum but i'm not sure we're ready for that conversation

jenks

thread death
There's always that moment when Tenderness starts playing - is it going to be Otis or is that clown Kanye going to come along and shit all over the tune.

Leo

this also applies to every musical instrument ever invented except for maybe the drum but i'm not sure we're ready for that conversation

not really the same thing, is it? vocals are the sound of human voice, as opposed to a guitar or keyboard, which, sure, can be played in a soulful, emotional way but not the same as the voice.

shakahislop

the 60s / 70s soul thing is maybe the best example of how some genres have only a short period of time where everything (social, musical infrastructure, the kind of people who the world is creating) comes together and allows such things to be created. its not simply that the music made in the same genre sounds like pastiche, sitting in the shadow of the greats. it becomes impossible to make anything as good even ten years later because the people and the technology have changed.

it's not just the bartytune influence. everyone grows up singing differently in different eras coz they're all copying each other. that particular period of the us african-american world (i don't know much or indeed about it) produced a really beautiful and gracious form of singing. there's stuff about now that's broadly similar, like morning[a]BLKstar or however it's written but the window for producing that quality of singer was short.

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
it's hard to replicate: but moving house to the sound of "everything is beautiful" (not sure who performed it) on a mono radio made an emotional time more heart wrenching back in 1995