club music with no drums

wektor

in Monolithic Undertow a fewllow, who is I think, Surgeon, says his initial idea was to make drone music, but then he eventually realized it is rather difficult to get people to focus on 20min of static sound if they're in a public space. he ended up putting kicks over it.
post best drumless versions (devil mixes count?) or drumless club music

wektor

Senni is definitely one of the people pushing this type of thing forward within the last few years,
funnily enough, his tracks feel almost like easy listening, until you turn them up or hear them out of soundsystem, then you can hear:
everything has a fuckton of punch, heavy subs and transients blended in seamlessly, almost comparable to funk carioca in how different parts of the mix work together

william_kent

dub techno has a few examples

I've never been into falling asleep in a club so I've never been to 100% dub techno night *

Various Artists - Modulo 8.5 by Monolake

this is my favourite tune by the worst named act on the Chain Reaction label, it's actually T++ aka Torsten Pröfrock aka Horizontal Ground's 20.16.12.21.19.16.12.21.19. plus a whole host of aliases on the DiN label, and just to muddy the waters, this came out on Fat Cat records

it probably counts as "drumless", but there are ghosts of "hats"

I'm sure it'd clear the floor in a club unless you were a "big name" where you can open your set with a ten minute beatless tune and subsequently be lauded for your genius selection..."generating tension", "building a vibe" , etc

* this is a semi-lie, I once saw "rhythm & sound w/tikiman" live, they were the support act for...Merzbow...

william_kent

this isn't an endorsement, but for historical reasons and "posterity" it probably belongs in this thread

Sabres of Paradise - Smokebelch ii (Beatless Mix)

there was a time in the 90s when I was regularly raving and this mix would get put on, normally when a "big name" DJ was "building a vibe" and "generating tension", about to embark on "taking you on a journey****"

unless it was 6 am, "sunrise", they'd normally mix in the drum laden David Holmes version, but this is history, who cares, we can rewrite this shit

anyway, i'm not a fan of this tune, but history & posterity

there was a minor twitter storm in a teacup / kerfuffle a year or so ago when the "secret dj" twitter account correctly mentioned that Smokebelch was a cover version and a bunch of Balearic Silverbacks got all a bit hot under the collar of their Japanese denim shirts

**** edit: has anyone else had the annoying thing of typing in a URL in chrome and the first thing that pops up is some shit about "resuming your journey" and some unasked for sidebar displays? of course I've just tried and failed to replicate that behaviour, so hopefully they've just removed that "feature"

edit: this tune is rubbish, but.... I was going to say "time and place" but.... it sucked then, sucks now.... but drugs ( i.e., white doves, the best drug E`VER ) skewed the majority of some people's thought processes

wektor

I guess I should have named it "with no beat", as the drums are sometimes still there, just no beats, pulse is there none the less

wektor

one of the most demanding listens ive had in a while - went to see dominic coles in hoxton last night

still, i could not help but hear the digital 16 bit grime sound fonts in them - the first track would likely be a better example (which is not available to listen on bandcamp im afraid)

wektor

I'm confuse
no drums but percussion? not sure how to put it, i was thinking about non kickdrum driven tracks, or ones where the pulse comes from something else but drums, see the senni track: there is some quasi-percussive elements but they are essentially just adding a sharper edge to the synth parts of the mix

wektor

its easy to get me to start enaposting, hence, a track from one of my japanese dub techno favourites:

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Love both below, wibbly wibbly stretched out in the early mix and alt/orig version which goes tits up more quickly

Club tracks? Could be, think the early mix edges it (there’re a few percussive too eventually) so more what goes before fitting the brief if loads of drugs are involved up the Peaks with a decent audio set up

DLaurent

I did an ambient techno thread a while back that contains some of my favourites. I would say you could remove the foot from some big tunes and still have a danceable track.