20 years since Boy In Da Corner

rubberdingyrapids

i luv u got me into grime. i liked 'oi' but never paid other grime much attention - i was more into american rap on the whole back then. but then i heard i luv u (at hmv on a listening post the week the single came out) and got instantly converted. but even after hearing i luv u, it took a while before i realised that it was itself a bit of an outlier in grime terms, but in the end i came round. not head BIDC in well over a decade, bit scared to actually, as i loved it so much at the time, but i prob should. i remember reading lots of bloggers loving all the 'vulnerable' stuff on there, the 'introspective' etc type of lyrics, but for me, i played tracks like stop dat, hold ya mouf, cut em off, 2 far, live o, the most. dizzee was an absolutely incredible producer at this point.

luka

dizzeerascal

1d
Nice one. I was 15 when I made ready for war I made the beat in school (Langdon Park) and recorded it at a small studio in poplar swimming baths.

Kryme and Boydem about were produced and recorded and both Danny C and Danny S studios in Deptford not too long after ready for war so I was about 15-16. I I couldn’t track down Danny S to get the original version of Boydem about so it never made it onto the re release.

It was Wiley who asked me to come to the studio to put a hook on what would become bounce.

I can’t remember why win never made it to the original album we probably just had enough songs already.

Big up you though 👊🏾😎

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
. i remember reading lots of bloggers loving all the 'vulnerable' stuff on there, the 'introspective' etc type of lyrics, but for me, i played tracks like stop dat, hold ya mouf, cut em off, 2 far, live o, the most. dizzee was an absolutely incredible producer at this point.
I think the mixture of stuff like sitting here and brand new day with stop dat is what makes it work as an album, though.

Aside from I luv u my favourite is probably brand new day (somehow it reminds me of the more introspective songs on Illmatic, a sort of premature wistfulness about it), stop dat is amazing too ofc

luka

dizzeerascal

1d
Nice one. I was 15 when I made ready for war I made the beat in school (Langdon Park) and recorded it at a small studio in poplar swimming baths.

Kryme and Boydem about were produced and recorded and both Danny C and Danny S studios in Deptford not too long after ready for war so I was about 15-16. I I couldn’t track down Danny S to get the original version of Boydem about so it never made it onto the re release.

It was Wiley who asked me to come to the studio to put a hook on what would become bounce.

I can’t remember why win never made it to the original album we probably just had enough songs already.

Big up you though 👊🏾😎
that is what he is talking about here pearsal

Premature wistfulness - that’s good. Childhood nostalgia captured in melody? maybe we lose that once you get too old to remember or start trying to be sophisticated

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The beat for brand new day even reminds me of "one love", now I think about it. Perhaps a bit of a stretch, but that same sort of skeletal, melancholic music box quality.

rubberdingyrapids

The premature aspect is why those tracks didnt impress me as much as the other songs back then. It sounded like someone trying to sound, believing they were wise, before they had achieved it. But maybe that was me being condescending.

luka

Always loved the beat for that one. Haunting. The intro with the storm sounds.

i was obsessed with this. i only heard them play it on the radio once at the time. luckily i taped it. then it took ages to turn up on youtube.