Through the letterbox

william_kent

or left on the doorstep

I envision this thread as a "safe space" to discuss the weird, wonderful, and downright nasty things that get delivered to our front doors...

I was once involved in a "collaborative blog" where we had an "in the post" tag where we could brag or show off our latest mail order purchases

but I always felt that was constrictive, it only shone light upon the positive aspects of mail delivery

over the years I have received many items posted through my letterbox, some by the postal service, and some which were "hand delivered", and I'm sure other people have as well

I've had court summonses, rare records, rare books, letters threatening eviction , letters from private detective agencies pretending to take an interest in the whereabouts of my neighbours because they're due a large cash sum ( lies, they just wanted me to grass them up, but I know the rules of the playground ), rare records, court summonses, rare records, threats from a psycho ex, more court summonses, etc.,

I'll kick this off with recollections of the notes the guy who used to live downstairs posted through my letterbox, this was the guy who destroyed the aesthetic of my front door by peppering it with axe strokes at seven in the morning, in fact he dented the letterbox to such an extent that I had to have it replaced...

- unfortunately I don't have copies anymore because I made a complaint and gave the evidence to the landlord, but the gist of the green ink notes he forced through my letterbox were:

STOP BURNING MY PENIS
OR I WILL KILL YOU
DIE! DIE! DIE!

( he had a whole fantasy going on about how I was using a computer to fry his penis and how I was sending the results of my "experiments" to the professors at the "university" - apparently he went to our landlord and demonstrated how evil I was by dumping the contents of a carrier bag full of his gas bills on to their desk )

what the most interesting / frightening post that has been pushed through your letterbox?

edit:

a long time ago, employing my considerable IT skills, I once helped a friend mock up some notepaper of a "research institution" which he then used to order masses of ampoules of injectable ketalar ™️ "for "experiments on mice" and as a token of gratitude he "boiled down" and posted a couple of grams of powdered ketamine through my letterbox on the very day that my parents were visiting and, just as I was letting them in I luckily spotted the wrap on the floor, and positioned my feet over it , and sneakily retrieved and hid the drugs without them noticing...

edit:

I can't upload a photo because it'd reveal my bank sort code, etc., but I treasure the cheque I once received from British Telecom which was made out to the amount of £6.66, obviously I never cashed that one in

version

I bought a book off some guy on eBay and it came with a bunch of flyers for his magazine publishing stuff on ufology and the Soho nail bombing being covered up.

william_kent

I bought a book off some guy on eBay and it came with a bunch of flyers for his magazine publishing stuff on ufology and the Soho nail bombing being covered up.

what was the cover up of the Soho nail bombing? I've watched some documentaries about it just in case they mention the O9A connection...

version

what was the cover up of the Soho nail bombing? I've watched some documentaries about it just in case they mention the O9A connection...

Don't know, didn't buy the magazine. On the flyer it just says:

SOHO NAIL BOMBING: FURTHER DETAIL ON THE MI5/SPECIAL BRANCH/MEDIA COVER-UP

The magazine's called 'Notes from the Borderland'.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Don't know, didn't buy the magazine. On the flyer it just says:

SOHO NAIL BOMBING: FURTHER DETAIL ON THE MI5/SPECIAL BRANCH/MEDIA COVER-UP

The magazine's called 'Notes from the Borderland'.
Reminds me of that shithead who decided the 7/7 bombings were a false flag attack by Them, or possibly (((Them))), made a 'documentary' explaining all this, and mailed it out on DVD to various people, including bereaved relatives of those killed in the bombings, which I'm sure helped them a lot.

martin

----
Someone sent me an unsolicited David Cassidy 7" last year, in a brown mailer with no identifying postmark. I have no idea why...I didn't play it but looked up the lyrics online, to see if there might be a hidden message (nada). Then tossed it in the bin, 'cos 'decluttering'.

When I lived in Camberwell, we'd get Nation of Islam flyers through the front door every now and then, but my favourites were the Hare Krishna ones I got in Golders Green, especially the one with an axe-wielding man with a cow's head about to brain a cow with a man's head.

Last time I crashed around John Eden's, an African witchcraft expert (specialties: erectile dysfunction, getting your ex back) ((as in revenge, I think)) popped a flyer with a helpful breakdown of his services through his door.

One thing I miss: just emailing people who were making music and asking them about it, then them taking your address and sending you a CD-R or two through the post. Something Bandcamp Friday can't really replicate. The Dissensus Tape Swap was another cool example. I once wrote to Stewart Home (Larry O'Hara's arch-nemesis) with a query, not really expecting a reply, and got back a bumper pack of pamphlets, two tapes full of early Adam & The Ants demos, a nice letter and a certificate declaring me a bona fide avant-garde artist.

version

THE 1996 LARRY O'HARA SHORT STORY COMPETITION WINNER

I really wasn't satisfied with the level of entries in this year's competition. Those entering failed to emulate my deathless prose and seemed to see me as a comic figure, rather than the personage of world historical significance that I undoubtedly am. Therefore, I have decided to award the 100 pound prize money to myself for the following immortal work. Yours, Larry O., London October 1996.

😂

luka

i remember cracking up when woops did a poo in a plastic bag and posted it through matthew ingrams letterbox

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
THE 1996 LARRY O'HARA SHORT STORY COMPETITION WINNER

I really wasn't satisfied with the level of entries in this year's competition. Those entering failed to emulate my deathless prose and seemed to see me as a comic figure, rather than the personage of world historical significance that I undoubtedly am. Therefore, I have decided to award the 100 pound prize money to myself for the following immortal work. Yours, Larry O., London October 1996.

😂
Were he and @luka separated at birth?