Phonk, Drift Phonk

linebaugh

That's what I mean. It runs against the conventional wisdom that you balance the sounds in a mix, but it doesn't seem like an accident or poor mixing as the other elements are mixed normally. The synth obliterating everything else is deliberate.
Ya i didnt mean that as like clarification for you

linebaugh

Just interesting how the effort to preserve the quality of the synth in the mix led them to the unsual hip hop/dance music decision of removing the drums entirely. I wonder if when this is played in clubs if theres a drum track added.

linebaugh

Can you party this way to music without drums? This is a question no one on dissensus will be able to awnser

wektor

Just interesting how the effort to preserve the quality of the synth in the mix led them to the unsual hip hop/dance music decision of removing the drums entirely. I wonder if when this is played in clubs if theres a drum track added.
we are talking about the generation who grew up on sidechain compression here - it makes the bass/drums perceivably hit harder when they do

Mr. Naga Pickle

honestly this stuff should be called drill, it literally sounds like someone drilling through metal

The way the synth sits, or doesn't sit, in the mix on that tune is like the one Greens posted the other day, so I guess it's a stylistic choice and not just poor mixing.

not overly familiar with phonk, but the wildly overdriven, loud synth funk which parties like baile do helipa and baile do mandelao are best known for (black lanca, rock dos noia, etc.) often sounds the way it does bc producers are attempting to enhance/replicate the experience of listening to heavy funk on a massive ass soundsystem while high on lolo, an inhalant which originally became popular around 100 years ago and was typically a mixture of ether + chloroform, but is now made from MYSTERY

black lanca.jpg

william_kent

not overly familiar with phonk, but the wildly overdriven, loud synth funk which parties like baile do helipa and baile do mandelao are best known for (black lanca, rock dos noia, etc.) often sounds the way it does bc producers are attempting to enhance/replicate the experience of listening to heavy funk on a massive ass soundsystem while high on lolo, an inhalant which originally became popular around 100 years ago and was typically a mixture of ether + chloroform, but is now made from MYSTERY

View attachment 15923

one memorable lunch break at high school was due to the bottle of chloroform which we swiped from the double chemistry lesson immediately beforehand

- of course I'm lying, because I can't remember anything, we were so fucked!

good times...

william_kent

although ETHER

even Hunter S. Thompson was scared!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls... Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

william_kent

For whatever reason, ether drinking apparently became relatively common because in a short period, shops in many Irish towns were selling ether in a manner similar to taverns selling alcoholic beverages. According to a British government report, “some 100,000 Irish consume[d] 17,000 gallons of impure ether annually.”6 All age-groups ingested ether, and its use was equal between male and female consumers. Neighborhood women, and even their young daughters, would have “ether bees,” and children could obtain ether for drinking purposes from local stores.4

I can't find* the incredibly interesting article I read earlier this week about the widespread abuse of ether, it might have even described an "epidemic" that spread across Europe in the late 19th century / early 20th century but maybe the quote above provides a taste...

1693108450257.jpeg

* because I'm drunk and incapable and chrome history is shit ( maybe that's not a bad thing considering my "interests" )

Neighborhood women, and even their young daughters, would have “ether bees,”

^ I feel the need to provide irrational emphasis here

“ether bees”

^

Mr. Naga Pickle

I can't find* the incredibly interesting article I read earlier this week about the widespread abuse of ether, it might have even described an "epidemic" that spread across Europe in the late 19th century / early 20th century but maybe the quote above provides a taste...

View attachment 15925

* because I'm drunk and incapable and chrome history is shit ( maybe that's not a bad thing considering my "interests" )

^ I feel the need to provide irrational emphasis here

^

Ether Bees​

2nd-level conjuration (Ritual)

Casting Time:1 action

Range:60 feet

Components:V, S, M (a dead bee, hornet, or wasp)

Duration:Concentration, up to 1 minute

You summon a swarm of ethereal, ghost like bees. The bees swarm a target of your choosing, dealing 1d6 piercing damage at the start of the target’s turn. The target can make a Dexterity saving throw at the beginning of their turn, taking half damage from the bees on a success. If the target takes damage from the bees for the full spell duration, the target is poisoned. The bees will follow a target wherever they go for the duration of the spell. They will not follow a target into another plane, beyond 1,000 feet, or into water deep enough to submerge the target. The bees can otherwise not be interacted with or disrupted.

william_kent

Ether Bees​

2nd-level conjuration (Ritual)

Casting Time:1 action

Range:60 feet

Components:V, S, M (a dead bee, hornet, or wasp)

Duration:Concentration, up to 1 minute

You summon a swarm of ethereal, ghost like bees. The bees swarm a target of your choosing, dealing 1d6 piercing damage at the start of the target’s turn. The target can make a Dexterity saving throw at the beginning of their turn, taking half damage from the bees on a success. If the target takes damage from the bees for the full spell duration, the target is poisoned. The bees will follow a target wherever they go for the duration of the spell. They will not follow a target into another plane, beyond 1,000 feet, or into water deep enough to submerge the target. The bees can otherwise not be interacted with or disrupted.

when I finish my 2D roguelike dungeon crawler written in the C programming language ( using the ncurses library ) then I'll make sure that this is the core mechanic of the gameplay

thanks, now I have the hook

wektor

ether is all fun and games and then you forget you've been huffing it in for the past three hours straight and it takes a moment to locate the realization that your lungs start to burn