Drum'n'bass 98-99

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
also sounds positively sublime compared to conceptronica, but it's a bit of a slog. still fun though when you want to bash your head against a wall snare drum snare drum.

dilbert1

I didn’t mean to lash out too hard @thirdform I just sometimes find your interpretive matrix confusing. For instance, my resistance to tech step isn’t about being averse to machinic amusicality. I dig stuff like Regis or Robert Hood, and early tech step stuff too like I said. But this high period of it, I don’t find the machine there to be all that intimidating or entrancing or impressive. We can talk big thematics and vibes, about being scared of the inhuman or whatever, but its really the garish sound pallete, the rote ‘moves’ and very audible lack of sonic imagination that bothers me. Its too sub-genre, spreads much too thin. But if you love what’s being spread more power to you! That makes sense. Not everything needs max versatility. Good formulae just work. I don’t dig it enough to train spot, a handful of tunes and I’ve got the picture, count me out but enjoy yourself etc.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
fair enough. I don't mind a garish sound pallet within moderation, but I think rave music has always been garish vis-a-vis the connoisseur's choices, deep house, detroit techno etc.

It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly when this sort of sound gets less interesting, because it undoubtedly does. I think it's to do with a certain kind of theatricality or absurdity. Things going over the top etc. Once that abandon vanishes and it's just plod for the sake of plod I'm not interested. That Dylan tune is quite silly, but that's why I like it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
There’s got to be some correlation with the sleeve art tending more and more via neurofunk toward this sort of thing

View attachment 18547

I am visually impaired so I will take your word on that.

@blissblogger made a similar point a few years back on here I think.

I can imagine music sticks in the memory due to its artwork. I can often remember people telling me that they like a certain track which has a vinyl sleave which looks a certain way, without being able to name it. For me it's about keeping playlists and refreshing my memory.