Drum'n'bass 98-99

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
So are we all agreeing, contra @thirdform, that good stories are good?

Hang on Oliver! taking that for granted, drum and bass was always more exciting than jungle, according to your own logic. Stop contradicting yourself! what is a committee compared to having a gun being pulled on you? I for sure would prefer the latter.

william_kent

Joe Muggs wrote an article about this over at The Quietus.

it's not an article, it's an advert for his crappy book, the worst book about 'sound system" EVER, I want a refund

edit: there are no stories in that that book like the one I heard tonight where the promoter asked my mate, who was playing out in public for the first time, "what weapon do you want?", and pointed to the choice of a nail gun or a baseball bat, it was a tough crowd, a former steel town in the north east

plexitmind

it's not an article, it's an advert for his crappy book, the worst book about 'sound system" EVER, I want a refund

edit: there are no stories in that that book like the one I heard tonight where the promoter asked my mate, who was playing out in public for the first time, "what weapon do you want?", and pointed to the choice of a nail gun or a baseball bat, it was a tough crowd, a former steel town in the north east
I never read the book because his monthly Critical Beats section in the Wire has been less than amazing for a while now.

plexitmind

I never read the book because his monthly Critical Beats section in the Wire has been less than amazing for a while now.
I actually glossed over that article earlier and just now gave it a proper read (unfortunately). Muggs takes a shot at Dissensus in there lol. What a weenie. Did he ever post here? Or is he just a jealous lurker because there is much better writing on this forum than his own?

version

Maybe he makes some good points now and then, but he seems so uncomfortable in his own skin it's unpleasant to engage with anything he does. Whenever he pops up he seems to be obsessing over Simon, doing the self-flagellating white liberal thing or just being a cranky weirdo like in the vid.

plexitmind

It goes back much further than that - check the comments box on this if you want a laugh
Wow. I can't tell you how much joy it brought me to see @blissblogger totally annihilate this guy. That was really embarrassing for Joe ... maybe more embarrassing than that TedTalk. Now I have a better understanding of why this guy's writing is so insecure.

Does anyone have a link to his posts on here?

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Fair's fair, though - I am piling all the recommended videos into a YouTube playlist and will be inflicting them on myself in due course.

I've only got through page 3 of this thread and already alarmed to see there's 61 tracks in the playlist.

Given that in this era, d&B tracks routinely topped 7 minutes, this is going to be quite an endurance test.

I've now listened to the whole thing (which had since increased to 77). Some of it was indeed an endurance test – jeez 🫥 – but there's a lot I like(d) and indeed have: 44 (57%) of the tracks in total, 18 of which I posted myself. But I can't believe I didn't include any Krust. What an absolute don Krust was. Props to whoever it was posted True Stories (y)

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Wow. I can't tell you how much joy it brought me to see @blissblogger totally annihilate this guy. That was really embarrassing for Joe ... maybe more embarrassing than that TedTalk. Now I have a better understanding of why this guy's writing is so insecure.

The only bit that made me laugh came four years later at the very end:

"The fights in music journalism are so bitter because the stakes are so low." 😉

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The only bit that made me laugh came four years later at the very end:

"The fights in music journalism are so bitter because the stakes are so low." 😉

well yeah exactly.

@blissblogger should get into the mellowist of jazzual jungle like jazz cartel and peshay's more saxy ones just to out Muggs Muggsy. But his Smiths fetishism is holding him back.

Sometimes one wishes that a hamas operative shot morressey. I mean, it would be of no strategic use whatsoever, and it would be counter-productive, but if it means @craner starts chanting from the river to the sea, the world without the smiths will be free, that's a net win, in my book.