Tradition & the Individual Talent

I woke up feeling sick and then I popped a tramadol and I'm feeling swell again. Writing another masterpiece. I've decided this one will be a minor masterpiece
Are you a tramadol fan? It’s good stuff, the memory blackouts are scary with those and benzos though, especially if drinking

sus

Are you a tramadol fan? It’s good stuff, the memory blackouts are scary with those and benzos though, especially if drinking
I would never mix with a benzo and I would never take more than 150mg, so I don't have any worries.

The usual recreational patterns (300mg+ to get a nod going) are rather dangerous in general, with seizures and such, plus the quick buildup of tolerance. The subtle effects are much better and you can learn to pay attention to them, and in noticing, come to psychically amplify them.

I recommend trying 100mg + a strong cup of coffee in the morning before breakfast. Don't eat anything afterward unless you need to (e.g. nausea) and only then have a few tortilla chips or some such. That's the good stuff.

sus

what does gus even want in this thread? he dont have a line of enquiry
I do I just haven't announced it yet

What I am interested in most is the idea of the artist's self-obliteration and replacement with the World.

That he goes beyond existing systems, straddles many systems and tries to acess blooming buzzing confusions to synthesize new systems that fit the present better

"The poet's mind in fact a receptacle for seizing and storing up numberless feelings, phrases, images, which remain there until all the particles which can unite to form a new compound are present together."

sus

"Existence creates itself by an endless chain of suggestions ricocheting off each other"

McLuhan links Eliot's depersonalization imperative (the great artist obliterates his own personality and replaces it with the world-network's) to Zen Buddhist ideas about breaking down the barriers between self and other

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Consume my heart away; sick with desire
And fastened to a dying animal
It knows not what it is; and gather me
Into the artifice of eternity.

Reactions: sus

version

I do I just haven't announced it yet

What I am interested in most is the idea of the artist's self-obliteration and replacement with the World.

That he goes beyond existing systems, straddles many systems and tries to acess blooming buzzing confusions to synthesize new systems that fit the present better

"The poet's mind in fact a receptacle for seizing and storing up numberless feelings, phrases, images, which remain there until all the particles which can unite to form a new compound are present together."

I just re-read Penman's piece on Baudelaire for the LRB and he suggests seeing Baudelaire as "a staging post or bridge or border crossing" rather than truly modern. A figure on the cusp of modernity due to lacking the doubt necessary to chip away at literature's "I".

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I once said on here that I thought Joyce was a much nicer man than Eliot, and that Eliot was a 'cunt'.

I read a Paris Review interview with Eliot last night and I'd like to retract my statement about Eliot being a 'cunt'.

sus

as poetix says once you start writing you very quickly learn The Writer is Outside of Time.
I've been thinking about this because it comes up in this:
> McLuhan’s saw that humanity now existed in a post-historical all-at-onceness of changing and rebounding proportions and cycles of retrievals and obsolescences of old and new

sus

The past collapses from linear time to a spatial metaphor of archives and documents to be parsed through, any of which could be reinvigorated and brought alive.

And this atemporal or transtemporal perspective lets you also see the present with a new lens, one which is not merely enacting the terms of its paradigm but is positioning the paradigm as an object in itself. It is a self-consciousness

sus

The actor, in the sense of "one who acts," is deeply time-situated. He does without reflection or self-consciousness because of the personal history that has led him there. The writer tries to understand the action and its history and how the history connects to the action. This is why Bourdieu and his habitus are one of the great writerly contributions of the 20th century. They are a paradigm for understanding paradigms.

version

I once said on here that I thought Joyce was a much nicer man than Eliot, and that Eliot was a 'cunt'.

I read a Paris Review interview with Eliot last night and I'd like to retract my statement about Eliot being a 'cunt'.

You're not bothered by the antisemitism then?

version

joaquin-phoenix-felt-wrong-not-to-swing.gif

Reactions: sus