disability and social justice/dei

luka

i
RA have started asking people who do a mix for them to talk about a political cause that's important to them. Awful stuff. They ask them general questions and questions about the mix then hit them with "What's one social or political cause you want the world to pay more attention to?". Luke calls them Resident Evil.
i always laugh when i think of them agreeing to pay little barty £5oo for his dancehall essay then third form got wind of it and told them he was a white man and they said im terribly sorry we can no longerr publlish this work lmao

version

i always laugh when i think of them agreeing to pay little barty £5oo for his dancehall essay then third form got wind of it and told them he was a white man and they said im terribly sorry we can no longerr publlish this work lmao

Still got no idea whether or not to believe this.

droid

Do you think all intellectual disabilities are visibly apparent to most people in some way?

No. Im just pointing out, once again, the utter shallowness of club culture and its difficulty in accommodating anyone who isnt 'normal' by their standards.

0bleak

I've been going out for decades and wasn't in the last few years that I got any flack - and it wasn't because of my disabilities, but because it was assumed that I was just cishet white guy for whom life must have always been a breeze. I'm not so dumb that I can't put two and two together that when I started having random unpleasant encounters a few years ago, the likes of which I had never had before, it was because I was a white guy.
And how much do you want to bet that many of those same people would or could also give me flack for my disability, especially when I was younger - especially before I learned how to carry myself and hide deficits.

I'm also tall and broad-shouldered* white guy so that probably aids in people's assumptions that everything has been easy-breezy easy-peasy for me even though I've constantly battled with thoughts of suicide since i was 8.

*Which hasn't always been great in itself, especially before I learned how to carry myself better, because it has been an invitation for guys wanting to fight me to score points, OR women I'm with to want to put me in danger (long stories - but happened with at least 3 different women wanting to test me, but then losing interest after I fail).

I also don't have good enough motor skills to be fighting due to my disabilities.

version

Sounds like you ran into some dickheads. There are definitely people who use this stuff as a weapon and get out of jail free card for bashing others rather than doing anything constructive.

ghost

I'd like to suggest that the framing of "disability" is strangely broad—mostly it bunches together a lot of people who have nothing to do with eachother…

There was a package on the local news last night about an insufficient supply of bungalows. The existing stock bungalows are slowly but surely having extra floors put in, and only a very few new ones are being built, usually of luxury spec. So, people with reduced mobility have few independent housing options available. Even the property market is loaded against disabled people.

0bleak

I'd like to suggest that the framing of "disability" is strangely broad—mostly it bunches together a lot of people who have nothing to do with eachother…

How should disability be framed so that I finally see it being talked about with current social justice issues, instead of, like, honestly, never.
I believe there are more disabled people than some demographics that get infinitely more attention.
Some of us suffered, and have to continued to suffer, for years and decades because our hidden disabilities were hard to diagnose and weren't taken seriously.
I mean, people just think you are just dumb/loser/not trying hard enough/infinite number of incorrect psychological diagnoses/involuntarily committed to mental institutions etc. etc. etc.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i

Give it a rest luke. this isn't funny anymore. invent something new to slander me with. You know that no such thing happened.

and they would never ever pay £5000 for an essay, lmao. not even a thousand.

i swear to god its true email him

Nah, if it was true he would man up and confirm it on here. Let's be fucking real here, Joe Muggs did a runner on your prodigy and he didn't know how to fight back. That's your fault for not training him properly.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
How come disability _rarely_, _if ever_, gets mentioned in the modern social justice/dei movement?
Compared to virtually EVERY other demographic, depending on your disability / constellation of disabilities / comorbidities you might have a MUCH harder time than any other demographic taken on its own.
One theory I have for why disability gets nowhere even a tiny bit NEAR the amount of attention in the current social justice/DEI movement is that it is something than can affect men - or even worse, cishet white men!

There's truth in this, but I think its more subtle than that. True, I'm a man, but I'm not white, well, not in the UK at least. I think it's because most modern social justice movements are an embrace of the defeat of class politics, and disablement is, first and foremost, an issue of capitals social production errors, a fraction of the population expelled for being unnecessary, surplus or unproductive towards capitals self-valourisation.