The telephone directory

sufi

lala
Was the most popular book in the country for the whole 20th c surely, maybe the world, but can you even find one now?
countless millions printed and distributed

I want one from 1970s Bristol (on paper), there must be somewhere you can still find them, they were utterly ubiquitous now totally vanished and almost forgotten

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
phone books must be ritually deposited - you can walk into the communal hall entrances of certain flats and occasionally see one but there’s no landlines working in the building

in fact if I don’t seem them during ubiquitous repeats of Call the Midwife in every healthcare setting with a tv working from now on, gonna kick that tv right in its face do the time warp now cunt

sorry,, long shift, bit like Radio/TV Times, I was just grateful to find a copy of Penthouse in a hedgerow tbh, times change Soof

martin

----
Don't think I've seen one since the early 2000s. Used to keep it in the hall by the phone in case of an emergency - pointless, as the landlord sorted all the repairs anyway. Sadly my parents didn't see the potential psychogeographical/hauntological value in keeping the 1980s volumes and repeatedly threw them away.

I was just grateful to find a copy of Penthouse in a hedgerow tbh

Amazing, it's nearly 2024 and I still can't think of a better way to have disposed of them.

version

you can't even get an argos catalogue any more

I hated the Argos system. Having to flip through those laminated ones in the shop then wait in those stupid cordoned queues like you're at the airport for someone to rummage around in the back and find it for you. Seemed so pointlessly fiddly.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
once amazon put geotrackers on people instead of just standard hgv/7.5ton tacographing, logistics changed

seems quaintly shit now queuing for in-shop order picking

craner

Beast of Burden
I still remember how weird it was when they privatized directory enquires. Suddenly all these 'wacky' adverts appeared on the tube trying to sell the service of asking for a public telephone number.

version

jgb lists the LA phone book in his top 10

I like his framing of that sort of thing as 'invisible literatures':

"I have always been a voracious reader of what I call invisible literatures — scientific journals, technical manuals, pharmaceutical company brochures, think-tank internal documents, PR company position papers — part of that universe of published material to which most literate people have scarcely any access but which provides the most potent compost for the imagination."

sufi

lala

"I have always been a voracious reader of what I call invisible literatures — scientific journals, technical manuals, pharmaceutical company brochures, think-tank internal documents, PR company position papers — part of that universe of published material to which most literate people have scarcely any access but which provides the most potent compost for the imagination."

i was not entirely sure why i DLed a 70MB 3600page PDF of this the other day but jgb is on the right track as usual

version

Puts me in mind of Prynne taking nothing but a science textbook with him to Bangkok,

I arranged and clocked into an hotel, a very modest, cheap hotel in Bangkok, with the sole purpose of writing whatever this composition was going to be. And right up to the last minute I had no idea whether it would be anything at all. I took with me a mountain of paper and pencils, my laptop—in order to verify certain sorts of material I might want to lean on—and one book. The book choice surprised me and it would totally surprise you, because it was a very recently published textbook concerning a particular species of weak molecular forces known as van der Waals forces. When I saw that this book, V. Adrian Parsegian’s Van der Waals Forces: A Handbook for Biologists, Chemists, Engineers, and Physicists, had been published by the Cambridge University Press, I just knew it was going to be an *important book to me. I couldn’t tell you why, but I’d already encountered this phenomenon of molecular forces and I knew I was going to care about it, partly because it was going to support a certain instinct I had about the structure of material things, which was increasingly an important question to me. I’d become a kind of materialist in some abstract sense of the word, more progressively as my thought practises have developed.

version

It had those very thin pages, like The Bible. Also saved Sarah Connor's life with its alphabetical listing.

luka

this is one of the important links between ballard & prynne