callous love or careless love

sus

I was just watching Don't Look Back, it's a very compelling portrait, hard to tell what's real but it's good at seeming real. I think callous is truer than careless, anyone who says "I don't give a fuck, I don't care" as often as Dylan clearly cares a lot, rather, there's a woundedness of tissue rubbed raw that results in scarification, in callouses

luka

i dont think careless works but thats how its transcribed in the lyirc sheets. totally wrong

jenks

thread death
Whilst I think Dylan does a good line in callous love in his work here it has to be careless love - it’s what he’s experienced not what he’s given.

Later he says
Situations have ended sad,
Relationships have all been bad.
Mine've been like Verlaine's and Rimbaud.
But there's no way I can compare

There he’s drawing attention to the implicit violence and destruction. Verlaine famously firing a pistol at Rimbaud.

And I’ll say, as I always say about Dylan, there’s much to admire but maybe the most admirable is his way with rhyme which is a fucking underrated skill for those who have never tried it.

jenks

thread death
jenks having a not too veiled pop at luka there 'those who have never tried it' dont think the man does not contain malice
Speaking about yourself in the third person! And it wasn’t a pop at you. I just think rhyming is really hard - it can sound so contrived so often.

luka

all truly brilliant people are thick as mince. it's impossible for a clever man to be brilliant. its never happened and never will.

jenks

thread death
i love dylan im only teasing you. i do think hes a bufoon though,
I think he has to be a bit of one to allow that itch to lead him where it needs to go and not question it. A cleverer bloke would be full of doubt - he lets it take him. Which means he’s made a few stinkers in his time but I’d still trust him to pull off something remarkable