- Convoluted/absurd plots, but the plot isn't exactly the point, so okay
- Moral murk
- Implicating the viewer in the crime
- Voyeurism
- Taboo sex urges
- Noir
- Nihilism
- Shadowy or luridly colourful cinematography @luka

This could be a broad field though. I was just watching Netflix's 'Ripley', which is mostly excellent except for the ridiculous circumstances under which Ripley is able to evade immediate detection... But then that's like 'Vertigo', isn't it, totally absurd plot, but it's really all about the psyche.

craner

Beast of Burden
- Moral murk
- Voyeurism
- Taboo sex urges
- Noir
- Nihilism

This could be a broad field though. I was just watching Netflix's 'Ripley', which is mostly excellent except for the ridiculous circumstances under which Ripley is able to evade immediate detection... But then that's like 'Vertigo', isn't it, totally absurd plot, but it's really all about the psyche.

Jack, let me introduce you to 1970s Italy.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Does that stuff explore psychology or just exploit it for lurid ends? And is there a difference?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
As far as I'm aware Fincher is the modern master of thrillers as psyche-dives. "Gone Girl" (the 21st century's best film) and "The Killer", but also "Seven", "Fight Club", "The Game"...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't think i've ever seen the eerie feeling of 21st century life as viewed and experienced through the prism of social media captured like it is in gone girl

It's not so much how reality feels most of the time as a nightmare based on what it often feels like

Also that bit when Emily whatshername gets her bits out

craner

Beast of Burden
It is a good film, certainly better than all his other terrible films, but is it really the best the 21st century has to offer?

linebaugh

- Moral murk
- Voyeurism
- Taboo sex urges
- Noir
- Nihilism

Have you seen wild things?

linebaugh

Never seen another film ape a different directors thing so hard. That being said I thought it was better than about half of the David lynch I’ve seen