The Universal Memory.

sus

Gravity’s Rainbow itself seems held at the edge of discovery. In its encyclopedic scope, the novel appears dedicated to the proposition that everything is connected: there are insinuated links between synthetic polymerization and the evolution of the earth; between astrophysics and psychic phenomena; between African dialects and Rilkean poetics; between international cartels and Freemasonry; between comic books and covenant theology; between Orphism, Parsifalism, Tannhaüserism, and The Autobiography of Malcolm X; between German idealism, Pavlovian psychology, and the American cult of the good-guy loner. Just as these links could be extended, so the connections reach out in all directions, associating disparate bodies of knowledge in such intricate configurations that the universe seems on the point of cohering like a giant molecule dreamed by some macrocosmic Kekulé. But the novel remains at the level of secondary illumination and leading edges. The synthetic dream never occurs. The text refuses to yield a culminating vision of the universe as blindingly One.
although Gravity’s Rainbow takes a pessimistic view of the twentieth century’s flight into totalizing systems, it also insists that such systems do not have intrinsic authority; they are not imposed on humanity from “outside.” No matter how comprehensive the explanation, it never covers everything, and for this reason it is thematically significant that the action of the novel overflows the parameters set by the structural metaphor.

sus

It isnt a coincidence IMO that we get a bunch of books and hot takes these days about how (1) the world no longer makes any sense (2) the world is apocalyptic. They are sorta the same thing. Systems uncoupling. Our tools no longer work.

luka

maybe i'll read tristram shandy once i've read all the 20 jack aubrey and stephen maturin books. im very anti system.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

luka

Im working through it now its a good time. I tried Rabelais too but that was less fun. Kind of annoying he just endlessly talks about how big the giants are. Theyre very big.
woops says the error people make with that book is choosing the wrong translation. theres an ancient one he says is the only acceeptable one.

sus

Im upset with how I handled myselt. Did you see how I used long block quotes like protective armor. Thats not very good

sus

Instead of relying on my own street smarts and staying light and dextrous I was heavy and cumbersome

luka

Im upset with how I handled myselt. Did you see how I used long block quotes like protective armor. Thats not very good
i remember you saying version was 'cowardly' for only communicating in this form. you were quite vociferous on the topic.

sus

Sometimes I think he's the bravest of all of us because he sees no need to write no need to synthesize in his own words so as to stake a claim and defy death and chase immortality. He accepts the fading way of the world.

And then other times I think hes the least brave the greatest coward. Despicable

sus

I think its because corpsey is torn between life on the couch and a respectable middle class manager life. He will be hitting a bong and then get sucked into a jordan b peterson video and feel intense shame about cleaning his room and washing his bum. Whereas version embraces without shame his internet existence. As he should. As a true citizen of a science fiction world. You've got to pick youve got to commit you cant stay inbetween

sus

Version is very brave in fully embracing his cowardice. Whereas Corpsey is cowardly about his cowardice. Sorry Corpsey I don't say this to hurt you I say it to help you

luka

woops is going to be disappointed we've allowed ourselves to drift off topic. we have to refocus.

Reactions: sus

sus

Yes I apologize for what Ive said I don't know either corpsey or version theyre pixels in my imagination and I cant be considered a good judge of anything even when Im in a sober mood