Hautism

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Or haute autism.

Machines learning how to love, bootstrapping emotional intelligence via heuristics, extreme awkwardness parties, URL<>IRL meetups, screening dates like one would screen prospective hires, globetrotting elite remote tech workers, turning Burning Man into a DAO, etc.

Interested largely because of my experience in San Francisco so far. Apparently the last decade has seen the tech industry permeate the commune scene here, culminating in what, to my knowledge, constitutes a new social breed, or at least a new wave, of tech hippies. The counterculture gets neurodivergent. Paging our local microsociologist @sus for insights.

Alas, this is one neologism I cannot take credit for.

version

The counterculture gets neurodivergent.
H0171-L296700154_original.JPG

WashYourHands

cat malogen
Living communally is a rite of passage, or was. A rite of passage still needs a resolutional outcome eg most of the game developers who cut their teeth here with certain sound systems eventually moved south or abroad, as a computery comparison

Cheaper, plugged in, ideas can come to you in ways you may not envisage, awkwardness parties are a sure start icebreaker though dunno how anyone conjured such an idea

What happened to web3? Typing while watching a cat hunt for pigeons, might have to film it

sus

How does that change our culture does it change the kinds of art that are being made and patronized, does it change social norms

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
How does that change our culture does it change the kinds of art that are being made and patronized, does it change social norms
What I'm noticing here, and I'm not sure how representative this is of larger trends, is that its cool to be the right sort of autistic in some of these circles.

Reactions: sus

sus

My friend Collin Lysford has a great bit about ice autists vs fire autists.

To which we added the earth vs wind autism spectrum, which is about having zero possessions versus being extremely dwelling-oriented

luka

i had someone stop and talk to me yesterday a stocky man with 12 o clock shadow and pigtails dressed like a 12 year girl going to a birthday party and a sign round the neck saying IM AUTISTIC

version

i had someone stop and talk to me yesterday a stocky man with 12 o clock shadow and pigtails dressed like a 12 year girl going to a birthday party and a sign round the neck saying IM AUTISTIC

Glad Corpse finally made contact.

0bleak

I thought it was going to be about claiming autism and neurodivergence as some sort of social cachet especially those that have never been formally diagnosed or tested, and/or might have never had any meaningful true struggles.

0bleak

although in my experience people won't give a shit anyway unless you're also a trans poc or whatever is the current identities people actually care about

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I thought it was going to be about claiming autism and neurodivergence as some sort of social cachet especially those that have never been formally diagnosed or tested, and/or might have never had any meaningful true struggles.
I mean, I think you're right that this is part of it, a neurodiversity cultural mafia, especially if you look at the portion of the autism spectrum which can essentially be induced by being extremely online long enough and during key developmental stages of one's life.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Or haute autism.

Machines learning how to love, bootstrapping emotional intelligence via heuristics, extreme awkwardness parties, URL<>IRL meetups, screening dates like one would screen prospective hires, globetrotting elite remote tech workers, turning Burning Man into a DAO, etc.

Interested largely because of my experience in San Francisco so far. Apparently the last decade has seen the tech industry permeate the commune scene here, culminating in what, to my knowledge, constitutes a new social breed, or at least a new wave, of tech hippies. The counterculture gets neurodivergent. Paging our local microsociologist @sus for insights.

Alas, this is one neologism I cannot take credit for.

0bleak

I mean, I think you're right that this is part of it, a neurodiversity cultural mafia, especially if you look at the portion of the autism spectrum which can essentially be induced by being extremely online long enough and during key developmental stages of one's life.

I was more thinking about people that want attention for their (whether or not some are imaginary or real) mental illnesses and disabilities, or feel like it gives them some kind of status in the currently culturally important oppression olympics (won't work outside in real life though (or like on random facebook interactions where people just see your profile pic) unless they're carrying a sign around their neck or making announcements about it to everyone - otherwise people might see someone like me, a white guy, and start giving him heaps of shit for no good reason because they assume I'm a privileged, active oppressor that has had an easy-breezy life (and probably some of the same people that would have given me shit in the past for something to do with my nvld that might have caused me issues they didn't understand).
As if I haven't just made it obvious, I'm still sore about some interactions I've had in the last few years and think the modern left is a broke woke joke.