Favourite cheesy dance 'choon'-anthem

dominic

Beast of Burden
jed_ said:
Felix - Don't you want me

i'll second that!

and let me add "something good is gonna happen" by utah saints

and messiah, "temple of dreams"

(but again, i suppose a lot this stuff, formerly deemed cheesy, has long since been rehabilitated)

dominic

Beast of Burden
Buick6 said:
total Confusion - Hippie Homeboy and Funky Dread

this was considered cheesy in the uk???

Buick6 said:
'Dont Argue' - Cabaret Voltaire - still the benchmark for any funky as fuck IDM or whatever

this is probably my favorite cabaret voltaire record!!!

kingofcars

i'm stuck in 00-01...

vengaboys - boom boom boom
zombie nation - kernkraft 400
ian van dahl - castles in the sky
darude - sandstorm

a good era for bad dance music...

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I'll have to second Utah Saints "Something Good" (which I've actually been playing quite a bit recently) and Da Hool "Meet Her At The Love Parade"...former guilty pleasures that have had much of the guilt stripped away by nostalgia.

Dunno if I'd consider "Dark Train" or "Halcyon" to be particularly cheesy...just good tunes that got played out / overexposed. Same applies for "Higher State of Consciousness" and "Access"...first time I heard them my jaw dropped, the fiftieth time I wondered when the DJ was going to buy some new records.

There is definitely a disconnect between the US and UK where a lot of tracks that charted over there but stayed deep underground here are concerned. Trying to reevaluate stuff that was always considered cheesy back home from the perspective of people who only ever heard these tracks in places like NASA requires background info. For example, it became a little easier for me to be kind(er) about Toytown Techno when one of my NYC mates pointed out that - as far he was concerned at the time - 'Hugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb' were all new types of drugs. No excuses for "Sesame's Treat" or "We Are Raving" though.

Anyway...nominations for...

Nightcrawlers - "Push The Feeling On" (I believe the Mark Kinchen mixes were the ones that got the most play)

Reel 2 Real - "I Like To Move It"

Nomad - "Devotion" (anyone know if a dub of this existed? I think I'd still really like it but can't face having to listen MC Mikee Freedom)

There's also a load of chart topping handbag tunes from 96 / 97 / 98 that I have a sneaking suspicion I'd like to hear again but may not have enough distance yet...

Lisa Marie Experience - "Jumpin"

Stretch 'n' Vern - "I'm Alive"

That Farley & Heller one wot had a guy with an elephant head in the video.

Last edited:

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Canada J Soup said:
Nightcrawlers - "Push The Feeling On"

This is killer. That and the Robyn S track are what they call Organ House I think. I don't know any others that have that kind of bassline. Wouldn't call them cheesy either.

One track I forgot: Sabrina - Boys. I loved that when I was a kid and recently rediscovered it. Even the rapping is not embarassing. Summer time love.

J

jimbackhouse

vengaboys 'boom boom boom'

zombie nation 'kernkraft 400'

both seconded!

still love benni benassi 'satisfaction'

also have a soft spot for early-mid 90s europop cheesiness: culture beat 'mr vain', haddaway, the maxx, etc...

i'm sure 2 unlimited have long since been recuperated into the irono-hipster canon, but 'no limits' is still a big, big tune.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I have no idea how to gauge something's cheese rating, but I'm always happy to hear Wamdue Project's 'King of My Castle'. If not cheddar, I think it was at least completely thrashed to death.

Brokeman

Living Too Late
Absolutely anything by Black Box, though "I don't want anybody else" is probably my favourite. Also:

Hithouse "Jack to the sound of the underground" (chooon!)

Beatmasters "Burn it up" (Acid mix)

Nu Shooz "I can't wait"

Reel 2 Real "I like to move it"

and more embarrassing because it doesn't even have nostalgia to justify it:

Groove Armada "Superstylin'"

Oh, does this count? St. Etienne "Only love can break your heart"

bassnation

the abyss
qwerty south said:
livin joy - dreamer

love that tune. lets add some more handbag greats:

helicopter - on ya way (early jaxx handbag classic)
la luna - to the beat of the drum
size 9 - i am ready (longest snare roll in house history)
dj misjah - access
jon pleased wimmin - passion
armand van helden - you don't even know me

O

Omaar

michael said:
I have no idea how to gauge something's cheese rating, but I'm always happy to hear Wamdue Project's 'King of My Castle'. If not cheddar, I think it was at least completely thrashed to death.

Yeah that's great, i wouldn't have called it cheese, but then my standards may be low. Anyway, I'm sure you could do better (or worse ;) ). The best I've heard lately would be Mylo - In my arms, SL2 - On a ragga tip and D-Mob and Cathy Dennis - C'mon and get my love.

blunt

shot by both sides
Robin S - Show Me Love (I know it's been mentioned by others already, but it managed to redeem many an evening otherwise wasted at the Blue Orchid in Croydon :eek: )

Daft Punk - One More Time feat Romanthony

Armand van Helden - Flowerz (I notice he's been referenced a lot, as well. Armand van Helden: the acceptable face of cheese?)

Delacey - Hideaway (Deep Dish remix) - is that cheesy? It charted, so I guess it must be. But it still gets me every time...

Loki

SHAFT - Roobarb and Custard.

If only for one of the best/worst TOTPs performances.

What about Altern8?

Steve Silk Hurley - Jack Your Body
Raze - Jack the Groove
etc.
i.e. Anything with Jack in the title except The Reynolds Girls (later changed their name to Reynols) "I'd Rather Jack"