Lammas Night's Laments

mms

sometimes
Diggedy Derek said:
Thanks guys, and nice one for that link to the compiler himself. That's a really interesting read. I like doing this sort of stuff when I can get my act together, which isn't that often (where's the fourth Lamas CD, here or at the girlfriends? arghhh!).

Is MP3 good for people? That's a good idea, that. If it's no good for people, I'll just burn these babies. Off topic slightly, but The Wickerman really is an astonishing film isn't it? Often with cult films, they're merely "good", but The Wickerman is so poignantly of it's time it transcends mere cultdom, and is possibly one of the most resonant British films of the 70s. One of those films that, because it's dated slightly- ie the emphasis on religion- that makes it all the more poigant, something we've left far behind, even though the movie is only 30 odd years old. In fact, to ramble further, it's one of the most moral films ever I think, a real fire and brimstone encounter, even more so than films of the 50s, precisely because they didn't have that powerful sense of an conflict between morality and amorality that you get in this film.

If you haven't seen it, you really need to, although I'm sure people have said that to you before.

hmm interesting you think it's about morality and amorality, i think it's about strongly held dogma personally.
There is alot to dislike about the main character,strongly held stupidity more like , a man with a job fair enough, with authority on his side but ultimatley..and alot to enjoy, immerse yourself in the people of summerisle, their open sensuality and confidence , but with one big catch of course, dogma again. Violent stupid dogma.
It has dated slightly but it catches some tired warmth and sun.it is a fascinating film and i'll probably change my mind next time i see it.
It's amazing one off soundtrack and the fact that its the axis that's this compilation has been built around in the search for that meme shows its extraordinary power.
Interestingly a few years at an event called megalithomania, a fellow from Glasgae, called drew mullholland,a famous psychogeographer actually found parts of the burnt wickerman on summerisle and gave it away to audience members.
And thus the resonance begins again...

Last edited:

KaBuT

Has anyone grabbed the couple of Wicker Man documentaries that popped up on UKnova a few months back?

Well worth watching.

If anyone wants a CD with the MPEGs on I'll do one.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Re the Wicker Man: absolutely incredible film, would have made an unbeatable double bill when shown with 'Don't Look Now'. For me, the film is made by the collision of high camp, sensuality and the undercurrent of naked horror...plus the s/t, of course.

mp3s are great for the wyrd folk collection, thanks, Derek!

appleblim

will gladly do a copy or two for anyone that might need em derek...

wicker man - one of the few films i can watch again and again and still be totally mesmerised by.....i saw it first when i was too young to understand it, u know, staying up late when u weren't allowed, midight on BBC2 kinda style (did they REALLY have loads more pyschedelic/weird/ films on in the 80s or is it just me?!)

- so i think maybe that memory of my first watch of it resonates as well as the film, just being completely spooked and fascinated by it, before being able to comprehend what a monumentally odd film it really was!

i don't have a large dvd collection, i don't really believe in em, but that is one film i will ALWAYS have a copy of to hand....

amazing how it's come full circle really.....i mean, it really wasn't considered great at the time....although those invloved now state it was a special film to be involved in.....

there's a great interview with Christopher Lee (from some very odd 70s TV program) as an extra on the new version that has him waxing lyrical about the film....a joy to behold...you also get the great documentary that wa shown on TV on there too......top stuff.....

MarkCoyle

Lammas Night Laments and wyrd folk

Hi all,

this is Mark Coyle, the person behind TheUnbrokenCircle and Lammas Night Laments.

I CAN do the sets for anyone who needs them, just contact me at lordofmisrule@theunbrokencircle.co.uk

I'm also happy to talk about any aspect of the music, genres etc.

In terms of new music - there is some awesome newer music but it's not necessarily Devendra etc. Bands like Sieben, Daniel Patrick Quinn, The Golden Oaks, Magickal Folk of the Faraway Tree are much stranger and stronger.

There's loads about this at the site http://www.theunbrokencircle.co.uk and I review loads of the underground CDr stuff each week at http://theunbrokencircle.blogspot.com

Recently I found Matthew De Gennaro who is every bit as good as John Renbourn, Fahey etc without the media attention and 'scene creation' a lot of journalists are desparate to do.

Anyway, glad to be here, hope I can help.

cheers
Mark

http://www.theunbrokencircle.co.uk
wyrd folk and arcane acoustic music

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Nice of you to drop in Mark, nice one. I'm just copying some at the moment for 4 people here, who know who they are, so I suggest anyone else perhaps PM The Man Himself for this utterly wonderful compilation.

MarkCoyle

Lammas Night Laments

Hi Derek and everyone,

yeh no problem circulating them on. There is a feeling of mystery that comes in the parcel I try to do of them as the sleeves and supporting info all add to concept. Anyone who needs to can download the sleeves at the site for themselves.

Sorry if anyone has tried the site in the last couple of days - ironically we had our first ever outage but all is now back to normal at:

http://www.theunbrokencircle.co.uk

cheers
Mark

KaBuT

Hearing the awful news that The Wicker Man has been remade reminded me of this thread.
How are those CDs coming along??
:)

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Quick update- I've sent some out to Apple, Baboon and MMS. Rest to follow fairly soon. You guys should have tracklistings, too, I think.

jenks

thread death
i got mine direct from the man himself after he posted on this thread a few weeks ago. received it last night and what a magnificent collection it is.

was very self disciplined and am working my way through each cd rather athn rushing towards those i know i have to hear.

would heartily recommend it. (not that amounts to much)

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
just saw a tracklist for the first 5 cds and noticed there's a track on there by the moths. their only album heron's daughter is one of my favourites from this scene. the story behind it is something like they were friends at hull uni and the drama students had a project where they had to record a band so they were drafted in and played a bunch of folk standards. there's something really cool/beautiful in the way it's so unpolished. if you like your folk a little funky at times with bongos and flutes and soothing harmonies then have a listen

bit more info here

this stuff goes really well with the spring and autumn seasons :)

stevied

Is this still available? I have heard the tracks on Vol 1 - Water Into Wine Band and Dulcimer were the standouts for me - and would like to listen further. Thanks!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Is this still available? I have heard the tracks on Vol 1 - Water Into Wine Band and Dulcimer were the standouts for me - and would like to listen further. Thanks!

I have the CDs, as recorded for me by Derek form this board a few years back. I have all them around somewhere, thoguh a few may be misplaced. Can record them on for you if you like. Really not sure if still commercially available.